Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone scrapping a Thinkpad? Looking for keytops.

Blog Entries

Default Anyone scrapping a Thinkpad? Looking for keytops.

I'm looking for keytops for the Thinkpad F6-F12 keys. I'd like to replace the funny symbols on my IBM IR keyboard with something meaningful.

Damn Chuck, you're a couple of weeks late. I scrapped a ThinkPad 600X only a while ago as its screen died after serving as my e-mail monitor for years. Swapped-in my spare though.

N.B. Anyone reading this and interested in spares/parts for older IBM ThinkPads (e.g. 3x0, 760, 600 series) I have SODIMMs, CD drives and smaller HDs (in caddies) going spare. Please PM me if you're looking.
    Last edited by WBST; January 6th, 2020 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm looking for keytops for the Thinkpad F6-F12 keys. I'd like to replace the funny symbols on my IBM IR keyboard with something meaningful.
    I've got a few; any pics/model preference?

Blog Entries

I'll get some photos of the keys later. They look like Thinkpad keys and were from the same time period, so I've got my fingers crossed.

I have an entire beat up-but-works T60 in the junk pile, but I have a feeling that might be too modern for whatever you're working with.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Okay, here's a (bad) view of three keys. The "Q" is the normal-sized key and the "?" and the other one (inverted) are the function-sized keys.

I'm thinking that a Thinkpad circa 2005-2008 or so should be about right; complete with the dark blue "ENTER" key.

2020-01-07-130118.jpg

For all I know, the basic keyboard mech is the same; even has the little cluster of cursor keys at the lower right side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    2020-01-07-130118.jpg

For all I know, the basic keyboard mech is the same; even has the little cluster of cursor keys at the lower right side.
    I think(pad?) the small "?" key is from a KB with the inset up/down/left/right cluster, the others are probably fairly common (T60/T61/T4nn) as the KBs are common to those ranges (if possibly different FRUs or P/Ns).
    Last edited by WBST; January 8th, 2020 at 02:45 PM.

Blog Entries

They don't look like Thinkpad keys to me. Could they be from a generic IBM desktop keyboard?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

From this thing--note that the function keys go F6 and then enter strange-symbol-land.

IBM SK-8807.

To my eye, the layout looks like a 2005 Thinkpad, but now that I think about it, the key travel is more like a desktop keyboard. I'm not terribly familiar with current Lenovo offerings to locate replacement keycaps. FWIW, the keyboard is a rubber-dome type, but with a very nice feel.

Looking at the T61 definitely has lower keycaps than that, and a quick image search seems to confirm my recollection that the key profile of it pretty much matches machines going back to at least the T20. I didn't want to damage the keyboard by checking for sure, but I also think the Thinkpad keys use a standard laptop scissor mechanism instead of the keycap fitting on a plunger, like it looks like those do?
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs