Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sparcstation IPC Cycle 5-ip CPU Upgrade possible?

Here is a pic of the motherboard: IMG_0011.jpg

Nice! I like how they used both 30 and 72 pin SIMMs, so you could reuse what you had before the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Nice! I like how they used both 30 and 72 pin SIMMs, so you could reuse what you had before the upgrade.
    Yes, although for some reason I can't get it to boot with only the 72pin simms installed.

Someone uploaded the manual here:
    https://archive.org/details/bitsaver...665081/page/n1

In general it seems pretty picky about RAM. FPM only and I had to match all the timings to get it to work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Archer View Post
    Yes, although for some reason I can't get it to boot with only the 72pin simms installed.

Someone uploaded the manual here:
    https://archive.org/details/bitsaver...665081/page/n1

In general it seems pretty picky about RAM. FPM only and I had to match all the timings to get it to work reliably.
    You linked the manual, so you might already know. But just in case: there's a jumper on the mainboard to control which type of memory is bank 0. If its set to FPM, it won't work with just the 72pin SIMMs. A set of DIP switches controls memory speed (relative to CPU speed), but I haven't played with it.

And here's a photo of my mainboard and close-up of the CPU area. Taken with my phone, so not the best quality. If there's an interest I can take better photos with proper lighting and camera.

a.jpgb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mdx View Post
    And here's a photo of my mainboard and close-up of the CPU area. Taken with my phone, so not the best quality. If there's an interest I can take better photos with proper lighting and camera.

a.jpgb.jpg
    Ok, thatís actually really cool. Your motherboard is the same as mine and you have what I think is a turbosparc carrier card. That should also work in a sparcstation 5. You could install a microsparc and run nextstep if you ever wanted provided we figure out how the cpu is clocked. If you feel comfortable it would be great to get a pic with the cpu removed.

I tried to find docs/info on how to remove/install the TurboSparc carrier card but without success so far. Is there a tool / trick to removing the carrier card? I'd be interested in this too, but at this point I'm too worried I'd break something... BTW, the module is a different shape/size than the one for SS5s, so I assume it wouldn't fit (though I didn't actually compare dimensions exactly.)