Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Sparcstation IPC Cycle 5-ip CPU Upgrade possible?

  1. #1

    Default Sparcstation IPC Cycle 5-ip CPU Upgrade possible?

    I just purchased a sparcstation IPC which has been upgraded with a cycle 5 motherboard. This is the 70Mhz model. Has anyone upgraded one of these to a 110mhz microsparc? I don't see any labeled jumpers. I put a 110mhz CPU in place and it works at 70Mhz. if anyone has high res pics of a 110Mhz board I would like to compare the resistors around the CPU.

  2. #2

    Default

    I have the 170MHz TurboSparc version. It probably won't help, but I'd be happy to post photos.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,769

    Default

    Please do -- both of you! I didn't realize there were upgrade motherboards available!

  4. #4

    Default

    I'll try to take some good photos one of these days then. I don't know exactly which upgrade boards were offered, the only ones I know of are the ones in this ad: http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/conte...c_upgrades.pdf .

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Please do -- both of you! I didn't realize there were upgrade motherboards available!
    I'll have a full write up on this machine soon. I've actually been looking for one of these for quite a while. For me the coolest thing is being able to run openstep on a lunchbox sparc! I also have a 110mhz cycle5 for my sparcstation LX, but unfortunately I can't get that to play nice with openstep. I'm using your nvram battery boards for both btw. You did an amazing job on those!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Archer View Post
    I'll have a full write up on this machine soon. I've actually been looking for one of these for quite a while. For me the coolest thing is being able to run openstep on a lunchbox sparc! I also have a 110mhz cycle5 for my sparcstation LX, but unfortunately I can't get that to play nice with openstep.
    Very cool! Only upgrades I have are some Ross HyperSPARC modules and a Weitek PowerUP! and 64 MB SBus expansion. I've moved them between my SPARCstation 2 and SPARCstation IPX, can't decide which I'd rather have them in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Archer View Post
    I'm using your nvram battery boards for both btw. You did an amazing job on those!
    Thanks! I'm glad you've found them useful I think it's a lot easier and neater than hacking away at the old encapsulation, and there's basically zero worry about destroying the old chip. Plus when I designed those I had over 50 NVRAMs to rebuild!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Archer View Post
    I'll have a full write up on this machine soon. I've actually been looking for one of these for quite a while. For me the coolest thing is being able to run openstep on a lunchbox sparc! I also have a 110mhz cycle5 for my sparcstation LX, but unfortunately I can't get that to play nice with openstep. I'm using your nvram battery boards for both btw. You did an amazing job on those!
    I never knew these boards existed, until I stumbled upon one on ebay a few years ago. I paid <10$ plus maybe 30$ in shipping (to Europe.) I just couldn't resist Of course being the TurboSparc version, mine doesn't support NextSTEP.

    I have a few more NVRAMs to fix, so maybe I should have a look at those battery boards? It does look a lot neater than the hot-glued coin cell holders I use...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdx View Post
    I have a few more NVRAMs to fix, so maybe I should have a look at those battery boards? It does look a lot neater than the hot-glued coin cell holders I use...
    They'll also clear SBus boards, for Suns that have SBus slots over the NVRAM socket. Not sure if that's an issue for your situation. If you know other Sun hackers in your area, batching the orders together would save a *lot* of money, since shipping is the same up to 1 LBS. You can also order the bare panels from me (you provide the coin cell, holder, and crystal) or run the boards yourself (they're open source).

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    They'll also clear SBus boards, for Suns that have SBus slots over the NVRAM socket. Not sure if that's an issue for your situation. If you know other Sun hackers in your area, batching the orders together would save a *lot* of money, since shipping is the same up to 1 LBS. You can also order the bare panels from me (you provide the coin cell, holder, and crystal) or run the boards yourself (they're open source).
    Iíll mention the $10 you charge per assembled board is absolutely reasonable for the quality and time saved by using it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Archer View Post
    I’ll mention the $10 you charge per assembled board is absolutely reasonable for the quality and time saved by using it.
    Thanks! People occasionally complain that it's more expensive than grinding the end down and soldering a battery-on-a-wire to it I wish more folks had sent in their dead NVRAMs when I had the prebuilt GW-48T02-1 modules for sale, I don't have enough of a stock to offer them prebuilt.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •