Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drive parameters for Gotek USB disk

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    My experience with upgrading two Goteks to FlashFloppy was completely painless. (I used the USB method.) The only thing I would recommend as an add-on is swapping out the stock numeric 7-segment display for an OLED, instructions for that are on the wiki, but it’s completely optional.

You can download and use the HxC image tools to help set up blank image files for common (to pretty obscure) formats as .hfe files if auto detection doesn’t work. (If your disks are set up as much like DOS 40 track drives as it sounds like they are a simple 360k raw DOS .IMG file will probably take a format fine.)
    Thanks. I'll look into the HxC tools, I was having a look around their webpage earlier but hadn't seen your reply at the time. I did see the Gotek mods on the FlashFloppy pages. I have a couple of the 20x4 LCD displays with ITC interfaces spare so that should be an easy job.

regards

Pete

The Gotek has arrived and I have been convinced that Flash Floppy was the way to go. It was relatively easy but a where to get hold of the dfu utilities for Windows got me stuck so I went to Linux and installed dfu-utils. I now have a working drive, I think.

After a RiB (ribbon cable upside down) error and F-F (no USB) error I now have a E34

E34 - No entries to navigate:

Direct Navigation mode found no valid directories or image files to display. Add some valid image files to the USB drive. Subfolders are accessible only when using an LCD/OLED display.
    Indexed mode found no valid DSKA*.* image names. Add some valid image files to the USB drive.
    So what are image files, I can make a guess but what are valid image files? how are they created and how do I add them to the disk? How do I create disks on the drive? e.g format the drive? to have as many disks as it can hold?

Or is the problem the IMG.CFG file?

The Wiki seems to be a bit light in this area

Pete
    Last edited by Doubletop; January 21st, 2020 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries

So "Image files" are the virtual floppy disk images. You can create blank ones with the HXC tools. If there are images on the net, say .DSK files you can often use those.
    The thing works in three modes. It looks like its in "indexed mode"

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...p#indexed-mode

where it expects the files to be called DSKAnnnn.iii

where nnnn is the slot number and iii is usually "img" or "dsk"

So specify your track layout in IMG.CFG create a blank DSK0000.IMG in the HXC tools, copy it to your USB disk and you should be away..
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

It seems that the initial setup pages for FlashFloppy are unclear about the use of the HxC tools. They tend to suggest they are only needed if using HxC compatibility mode. If a new user knows nothing of HxC they are unlikely to follow that path and then they have no way of producing an image file on the USB drive. I think some aspects of the, otherwise excellent, documentation needs reviewing and clarifying for new users.

It was only a brief mention on the video of the serial re-programming that pointed me to HxC2001 and a link on the YouTube page. What you need is this https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_...tor/index.html and the guide https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_...Manual_ENG.pdf

I have struggled a bit to get my head around what is required. Iím not there yet but the system can see the drives and Iím able to format them. Iím getting errors but will work through what the causes of the problems are.

I was wondering how I could transfer files to and from a PC through the Gotek to the CP/M system but it occurs to me that as the HxC software is unlikely to know the disk layout and isnít going to be able to help. Any thoughts on that?

Pete

Blog Entries

I think that HXC tools is not mentioned much because most folks have suitable floppy images. There are lots of utilities around that can be used to explore images. I think these may work

http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...ools/index.htm

but try googling for more.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    I think that HXC tools is not mentioned much because most folks have suitable floppy images. There are lots of utilities around that can be used to explore images. I think these may work

http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...ools/index.htm

but try googling for more.
    Dave

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm now able to create images, load files to them and move them between the CP/M system and PC.

I've found some errors in my original disk configuration parameters but at least I'm able to prove things are working at the low level with my BIOS read write routines. I'm able to read the disk directories in CP/M and have copied some files, but need to get things properly aligned between the CPMTools disks and the disk configurations. Once I fully get to grips with it I should be able to work up to 1.44mb or larger disks.

A big step forward today.

Thanks again

Pete

Blog Entries

So glad you are sorted. I also found the documents challenging to follow. They really don't have a walk through...
    Dave
    G4UGM

A big step forward and now a biggger step back. I patched the BIOS to configure it for bigger Gotek drives and got that working and then made the mistake of updating the hard drive. Now it won't boot. I should have known better, it was late in the day of a not very successfull day. It could also be a system hardware problem as the hard drive has gone AWOL from time to time.

So everything is on hold at the moment, if my hard drive has a boot problem the only way I can resolve it is using the low level ROM BIOS sector read write routines. Although the BIOS can redirect to the TTY it is configured for CRT and I don't have one (MDA), I could redirect when I had CP/M running but not now. The solution is a MCE2VGA adaptor, which is on its way from Serdaco in Belgium.

Having the Gotek is also a saviour as I have the neccesary apps on that and I can get CPM up, but only once I have access to the ROM BIOS again. The fortunate thing for me is I have all the source on my PC and can re-create everything if I need to.

It could be a couple of weeks before I get back to this.

Pete
    Last edited by Doubletop; January 26th, 2020 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletop View Post
    It seems that the initial setup pages for FlashFloppy are unclear about the use of the HxC tools. They tend to suggest they are only needed if using HxC compatibility mode. If a new user knows nothing of HxC they are unlikely to follow that path and then they have no way of producing an image file on the USB drive. I think some aspects of the, otherwise excellent, documentation needs reviewing and clarifying for new users.

It was only a brief mention on the video of the serial re-programming that pointed me to HxC2001 and a link on the YouTube page. What you need is this https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_...tor/index.html and the guide https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_...Manual_ENG.pdf

I have struggled a bit to get my head around what is required. I’m not there yet but the system can see the drives and I’m able to format them. I’m getting errors but will work through what the causes of the problems are.
    So I take it you gave up on flashfloppy but are now making progress having changed to HxC?

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    So I take it you gave up on flashfloppy but are now making progress having changed to HxC?
    No I'm a FlashFloppy convert, along with cpmtools to make the images is working well for me.

At least it was until something broke. I'm just waiting for my MCE2VGA card to arrive from Belgium so I can get control of my system and fix the fault. I need the VGA converter to enable me to make use of the low level ROM BIOS routines as I can't easily redirect them to display though the serial port. When I had CP/M running it was easy to type PIP TTY:=CON:, without any display, and move control over to a PUTTY session running on the PC.

Once I've got the fault sorted and got control back I plan to configure the Gotek/FlashFloppy to as big as I can within the constraint of the memory space I have for the CP/M BIOS as it appears you can make it what suits you and doesn't have to be a standard disk format.

Pete