Image Map Image Map

Thread: S3 Virge Video Card- Extra RAM installed in card causes warped picture

Default S3 Virge Video Card- Extra RAM installed in card causes warped picture

I've been trying to figure out something that doesn't make sense.

On my ExpertColor S3 Virge, there are slots for extra video RAM, and one set of 3 solder vias to switch between 2 memory settings with a jumper (JP4):

307_expertcolor_dsv3325_ver.1.1_top_hq.jpg

The thing is, I modified my card to use the extra memory (inserted pins in JP4), but the image does not show up properly (There are alternating light and dark bands when the jumper is swapped, but with proper hues). Is there something else missing, or is it the way it was manufactured?

EDIT: Before you ask me about the quality of the memory, yes, I made sure it was good. I actually had a problem beforehand where the image looked significantly worse because of bad VRAM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    I've been trying to figure out something that doesn't make sense.

On my ExpertColor S3 Virge, there are slots for extra video RAM, and one set of 3 solder vias to switch between 2 memory settings with a jumper (JP4):

307_expertcolor_dsv3325_ver.1.1_top_hq.jpg

The thing is, I modified my card to use the extra memory (inserted pins in JP4), but the image does not show up properly (There are alternating light and dark bands when the jumper is swapped, but with proper hues). Is there something else missing, or is it the way it was manufactured?

EDIT: Before you ask me about the quality of the memory, yes, I made sure it was good. I actually had a problem beforehand where the image looked significantly worse because of bad VRAM.
    Ensure that the chips are properly oriented and do you need drivers? You didn't mention your system and OS.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Sorry about that. Yes, I did check that they are oriented properly. The dot on the chip does go to the angled-off corner of the socket.

The operating system or drivers don't exactly matter, as it shows up in any video mode already capable through the card without the drivers. (It is Windows 98SE, though.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    Sorry about that. Yes, I did check that they are oriented properly. The dot on the chip does go to the angled-off corner of the socket.

The operating system or drivers don't exactly matter, as it shows up in any video mode already capable through the card without the drivers. (It is Windows 98SE, though.)
    You may want to head over to VOGONS as they have quite a bit on the Virge.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Are you sure that's what JP4 does? I've never seen a video card with memory sockets that required soldering to upgrade.

Oh. Maybe I was wrong. JP3 was unpopulated, and seemed to reveal the memory. I'm not sure what pins 1+2 on JP4 did when jumpered.

Blog Entries

Are you positive you are using good VRAM/VRAM rated for the correct speed?
    Banding usually indicated at least one chip was failing.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

On the S3 cards I have worked with, you just installed extra RAM. No jumpers needed to be changed.

I have similar card but later revision I think in win95 pc. I don't think i moved jumpers either.