Image Map Image Map

Thread: Clonezilla hard drive cloning issues

Blog Entries

Default Clonezilla hard drive cloning issues

I decided to give one of my older systems a kick in performance and picked up a 500GB SSD to replace the 500GB Seagate Barracuda hard drive. The SSD is slightly larger than the spinning rust drive, so I though that a "clone" using Clonezilla would be a no-brainer.

Apparently, I was mistaken.

My system setup was XP (old files) and Ubuntu AMD64 (what I actually use, but having the XP boot can be handy). Boot manager is Grub2.

So, I told Clonezilla to clone /dev/sda to /dev/sdb and not adjust partition sizes. An hour or two later, it (apparently) was complete. I booted Ubuntu successfully, but XP left me me with a blank screen and blinking cursor.

You'd think that something simple--maybe changing the UUID was important, but that should be it. Throwing a curse to the wind, I rebooted a live CD and did:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

Went back to my breadmaking...

The result boots up in both XP and Ubuntu. I still don't know what Clonezilla was doing, but whatever it was, it wasn't right.

Just a caution to others. On pure Linux systems, I've created new partitions and used rsync to do the copying--and that worked fine.

Blog Entries

Chuck - I use Clonezilla to do whole drives at once and never had a problem with it. I've never tried the tricky stuff of moving/copying individual partitions, so I can't speak for it. Not being comfortable with Linux, I would be afraid to try what you did. It would have to be all or nothing for me.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I've had problem with gparted as well, doing fancy things with NT/XP partitions. Sometimes it's best to forget the fancy tools and just do the low-level stuff yourself.

One of the more puzzling thing is that Clonezilla claimed that my ext4 Linux partition had issues and wanted to "fix" a few things. Reboot back to Linux, run fsck--nope, the thing is clean. So I've got no idea what's going on with CZ.

Blog Entries

I just use Acronis True Image for cloning and you just click the starting drive and ending drive and it works 100%.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I just use Acronis True Image for cloning and you just click the starting drive and ending drive and it works 100%.
    Yeah, that's a good one and I have it. I got into the habit of using Clonezilla on some older PC's and it does a real good job without any fuss.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

CZ can work with 2 different filesystems simultaneously? I hadn't expected that. I do want clone a fresh Win7 install, dump that onto an ssd, and see if I can still get a win10 upgrade. I don't have high hopes of that. Would be happy though if the transferral works.

Blog Entries

Clonezilla, being hosted on Linux, understands many filesystems. I haven't tried to clone any HFS+ partitions with it, but it should work.

WikiP suggests 39 filesystems supported by the Linux kernel
    Last edited by Chuck(G); January 9th, 2020 at 08:56 PM.

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

I'm clear on that. Just didn't know if it had the ability to clone a drive with 2 different filesystems. I just bought a magazine with a live dvd with a slightly out of date version, for amd-64, which is what I have, bit it doesn't boot. May be an issue with the computer (likely) or the disk, less likely in my view. Always nice when youcan blow 16$ on something and not have it work. But the issue is great! I mean funtabulous!

Forgive me I'm not up to speed on anything newer then Ghost v.10.