Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5150/5160 External Floppy Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I think I still have an XT clone here with a Sysgen Omnibridge card installed--also supports 4 drives and adds high-density support. Surprised that no one has asked for a copy of the BIOS in all the time that I've said that I have one.
    Iíve got a sysgen card, PSA 1030X, but it seems to be for AT style controllers or maybe clones that didnít have an external port. No ROMs are anything on this. It came in my 5170 and was connected internally to the stock floppy controller.

520FE766-A58D-41A5-A66B-1AACFCB134A4.jpeg

Blog Entries

You can't miss the Omnibridge--it's got a PROM and the DIP (44 pin) version of the WD37C65. Intended for XT-class systems.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    Additional floppy drives beyond the first two went in the 5161 expansion unit. The drives would be the same as the ones in the main case since the 5161 was the same size as the PC itself and even had its own power supply.
    so wait a second - was there an additional FDC in the 5161 on a different I/O port, or was there a DC-37 cable going from the main FDC to the expansion chassis in addition to the DC-62 cable from the bus transmitter card?

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I rather like those YE data 360kB drives, I'd hang on to it if I were you
    Sadly, "had" is the operative word there. I may even have binned it in the dim and distant...

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Sadly, "had" is the operative word there. I may even have binned it in the dim and distant...
    huh? You posted that the working 360kB drive was up for grabs about 12hours ago...

huh? You posted that the working 360kB drive was up for grabs about 12hours ago...
    No, sorry, I thought you meant the SysGen Bridge-File. The 360KB FD out of the 4869-001 is still here. But it's an ALPS DFC222B05A.
    Last edited by WBST; January 10th, 2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Numbers, numbers who can remember all the numbers! ;)

... was there a DC-37 cable going from the main FDC to the expansion chassis...
    And what do you suppose that would be connected to in the expansion unit?
    PM me if you're looking for 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks. EMail ď Ē For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    And what do you suppose that would be connected to in the expansion unit?
    One could do what other external floppy drive enclosures did: place a 37-pin socket pointed to the outside that connects to a 34 pin internal cable. Two big bulky cables would run between the cases. That would be absurdly wasteful of the expansion unit's capability. I have never seen a 5161 with that; the only one I have seen with a floppy drive had a controller in the expansion unit.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    One could do what other external floppy drive enclosures did: place a 37-pin socket pointed to the outside that connects to a 34 pin internal cable. Two big bulky cables would run between the cases. That would be absurdly wasteful of the expansion unit's capability. I have never seen a 5161 with that; the only one I have seen with a floppy drive had a controller in the expansion unit.
    Right so where I'm going with this is - if there was another FDC in the expansion chassis, it would need to be set to a different I/O port to avoid conflicting with the main system's one. But software to drive such a controller in DOS doesn't appear to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye0914 View Post
    Yeah Im waiting on some DB37 connectors I ordered to arrive, then Im hoping to make a working cable with help of the diagrams on minuszerodegrees. If you can think of any that have photos readily available that would great!

Now I'm thinking I might model a miniature 5161 to put the Gotek in. Maybe not the most realistic/historic way to do it, but would be fun and interesting I think.
    Sometimes, you can use external hard drive enclosures to house a gotek. This is a picture of mine:
    2019-07-12-7-small.jpg
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.