Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video card help

Default Video card help

I recently aquired a few vintage parts; a slot 1 mobo and 2 old video cards. One is a decent shape ati mach64pci, but the other is a trident blade 3d pci and its rough. One of the capacitors is broke off and id like to repair it but I have no idea of the value needed. Anyone have this card or know what value id need? Its C38 on the board if it helps.. Site wont let me upload a pic since its too big but label on back says (Video- 107pci-3d 8m)

Put the pic on a hosting site and post its link here.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Put the pic on a hosting site and post its link here.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/z8CWVG1q5UgMjkv56

Its a power rail capacitor. Check to see which rail it is on. 10 or 20 uf tantalum with sufficient voltage would be fine.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Its a power rail capacitor. Check to see which rail it is on. 10 or 20 uf tantalum with sufficient voltage would be fine.
    Dwight
    I'll do some checking and figure out which one. Although I need to diag mobo first. No video output. Theres no vga on board and none of my gpus display a signal. Cant proceed till thats solved.
    But till then I'll do some testing on the video card and see what capacitors I need

If the board doesn't work, it is not likely the power line filter. I know this likely falls on deaf ears but replacing the capacitors is mot likely to make it work. The capacitor that is missing will not stop some signal from coming out.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    If the board doesn't work, it is not likely the power line filter. I know this likely falls on deaf ears but replacing the capacitors is mot likely to make it work. The capacitor that is missing will not stop some signal from coming out.
    Dwight
    Well, I mean I'm testing the motherboard board I got with the two video cards. Its a slot one labeled e139761 and jusr plugged a psu and keyboard in to make sure it worked as well. But my known good vid cards all display no video on it. The board has no integrated vid or audio like the older AT boards but this one atx powered and ps/2. I didn't try the video card with busted capacitor for the obvious reason.

Attach a PC Speaker or peizo buzzer to the speaker header on the motherboard so you can see if it generates POST code beeps. If it doesn't make any noise with a speaker correctly connected then the board is very dead.

For a value of the capacitor, it's most likely the same as the other capacitors on the card. 10uF 16V will probably be fine. I wouldn't use a tantalum cap, just use normal electrolytics.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Attach a PC Speaker or peizo buzzer to the speaker header on the motherboard so you can see if it generates POST code beeps. If it doesn't make any noise with a speaker correctly connected then the board is very dead.

For a value of the capacitor, it's most likely the same as the other capacitors on the card. 10uF 16V will probably be fine. I wouldn't use a tantalum cap, just use normal electrolytics.
    It beeps with no ram and nothing else but cpu on board. I plugged in a working 2mb card and ram and nothing happens. But i think it the ram. All ram i do have that would go into slot is pc100/133. This board requires pc66. I'll order a small stick off eBay to test that before I do much else. I figured pc100 be compatible but guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post

Theres a mix of cap on board some are 10uf 16, some are 20uf 25. I'm assuming that your right about a 10uf16 working, (since im not all that good with small elec. components)