Image Map Image Map

Thread: Sound issue on windows 98 p166

Default Sound issue on windows 98 p166

Hi, new here, signed up because I have a few retro PC's I use and lots of vintage games. Having some issues with t
    My Pentium 166. Running Windows 98

When I first got it , I swapped out the sound card for a sound blaster live 5.1
    Windows recognized it as a sounblaster 5.1 and all was good. Worked perfectly.

Someone convinced me to put windows 2000 on it. I shouldn't have listened, but long story short decided to go back to windows 98.

This time though windows won't recognize the sound blaster properly. It would only recognize it as a sounblaster live series . The other issue is that sound effects in games like doom 2 , cyberia have echo and repeat that gets louder and worse until I end the program.

Duke Nukem 3d wont run unless I select no sound card for fx

The music for these games works fine.

I have the proper drivers as I still have the original install cd for the card but nothing works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Law212 View Post
    Hi, new here, signed up because I have a few retro PC's I use and lots of vintage games. Having some issues with t
    My Pentium 166. Running Windows 98

When I first got it , I swapped out the sound card for a sound blaster live 5.1
    Windows recognized it as a sounblaster 5.1 and all was good. Worked perfectly.

Someone convinced me to put windows 2000 on it. I shouldn't have listened, but long story short decided to go back to windows 98.

This time though windows won't recognize the sound blaster properly. It would only recognize it as a sounblaster live series . The other issue is that sound effects in games like doom 2 , cyberia have echo and repeat that gets louder and worse until I end the program.

Duke Nukem 3d wont run unless I select no sound card for fx

The music for these games works fine.

I have the proper drivers as I still have the original install cd for the card but nothing works.
    How did you revert back to W98 from W2K - was it a clean install? Kind of sounds like you are having a driver conflict - something left over fro W2K. You're going to have to 'completely' uninstall the W2K drivers. If that proves too difficult, you may want to do a fresh W98 install.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    How did you revert back to W98 from W2K - was it a clean install? Kind of sounds like you are having a driver conflict - something left over fro W2K. You're going to have to 'completely' uninstall the W2K drivers. If that proves too difficult, you may want to do a fresh W98 install.
    I did a complete format and fresh install of windows 98 . There wouldn't be any leftover drivers .

Quote Originally Posted by Law212 View Post
    I did a complete format and fresh install of windows 98 . There wouldn't be any leftover drivers .
    Which version of Windows 98 did you install, standard or 98SE? Which version did you have installed before you upgraded to Windows 2000? Windows 98 SE has some known issues with the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card.
    You can try seeing if the computer properly recognizes the card in a different slot. If that checks out, try installing the Sound Blaster (Live! Series) Drivers Update (dated 2 May 00) or the Standalone Web Release (dated 2 Apr 02).