Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTT: Various possibilities for a 1/2 height cream face 5.25" 1.2MB Floppy Drive

Default WTT: Various possibilities for a 1/2 height cream face 5.25" 1.2MB Floppy Drive

Need to upgrade my IBM 4689-001 to -002 1.2MB capability. I have various working 1.44MB 3.5" FDs (plus the working 360KB cream face 5.25" FD too) to offer in exchange. Alternatively, I have Zip, Jaz and Syjet drives to offer, with adjustments of course.

I have a NOS, NIB TEAC but you haven't listed anything I could use.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have a NOS, NIB TEAC but you haven't listed anything I could use.
    So, what could you use? I have a whole "spares room" but mostly PS/2 related. PCI adapters, maybe?

Blog Entries

Have you considered a combo drive in that half-height slot (Teac FD505, for example)?

My own 4869s house everything from the 505s to various 3.5 and 5.25 drives as well as a floppytape or two and even a 3" CF2 drive.

I've replaced the PSUs in a couple to handle DDS and CD-ROM writers with SCSI.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    So, what could you use? I have a whole "spares room" but mostly PS/2 related. PCI adapters, maybe?
    Nothing PS/2 or PCI.

Another 1.2 drive is a possibility.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I have one. I'll take a picture of it later tonight. It's been sitting in a Pentium 166 machine I have in my basement for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Have you considered a combo drive in that half-height slot (Teac FD505, for example)?

My own 4869s house everything from the 505s to various 3.5 and 5.25 drives as well as a floppytape or two and even a 3" CF2 drive.

I had a FD505 years ago and it ended up being a massive POS, neither drive in it works now. I'm guessing you had better luck with them?

Blog Entries

Yup, bought a couple of cartons of them, adapted for 1.2M 3.5" use. Customer had no complaints and still have a good portion of one carton left. I have them on a couple of systems and can't complain.

FWIW, there were several versions of the 505. Some really awful; others much better.

I use IBM 3510 enclosures for CD-ROM drives/HDs (some with the Wide HD68 external connectors) and an IBM 7210-015 external CD-ROM drive too. I even have SCSI Zips, Jazs (1GB and 2GB) and 1.5GB Syjets (both internal IDE and SCSI, and external) and a Parallel Port 1GB SparQ. And then there's the SCSI to 2-slot (Type2 + Type1) PCMCIA enclosure with a 512MB hardcard. I'm not short of "externals". But thanks for the suggestions.

You may have realised by now I'm a total pack rat.

Cheers,
    Tim (a.k.a. WBST = Warm Beer Swilling Tim)
    Last edited by WBST; January 10th, 2020 at 07:13 PM.

Somehow I missed this statement the first time around - what did you replace them with? A COTS SMPS board of some kind?