Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KIM-1 interest?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Hey, I've got an AIM-65 too! I need to fix its print head.
    If it's worn down I don't think there's much you can do other than replace it; last I checked there were some available but not cheap.

Turning up the voltage a bit might help; on the other hand it might also burn it out

Blog Entries

Start by cleaning the head. Fluff and dirt can accumulate on thermal printheads and really get in the way of operation. Also, make sure that your paper is fresh--thermal paper degrades with time.

Same for just about any printer technology. I just about purchased a new drum unit for my laser printer until I found a service bulletin that said to clean the window on the drum unit. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Start by cleaning the head. Fluff and dirt can accumulate on thermal printheads and really get in the way of operation. Also, make sure that your paper is fresh--thermal paper degrades with time.

Same for just about any printer technology. I just about purchased a new drum unit for my laser printer until I found a service bulletin that said to clean the window on the drum unit. D'oh!
    Good advice! Also, some papers are better than others.

The same mechanism was used in some calculators but they're even harder to find these days.

Blog Entries

I noticed the issue with the degrading paper when I had to use my FAX machine with a thermal printer some time ago. A brand-new sealed roll from a stash that I bought more than 20 years ago displayed only barely visible print.

Since we don't have a POTS line anymore, I wouldn't count on that FAX machine working at all. Fortunately, my VoIP provider provides free FAX service just in case it's needed.

My old boss used to take the drum units out of earlier laser printers (when the drum unit was separate from the toner cartridge) and clean them using downy fabric softener. Those were the days!

(what this has to do with the KIM-1 I don't know)...

Anywho... I'd like to play around with a KIM-1. I've never seen one in the wild ever.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffm3 View Post
    My old boss used to take the drum units out of earlier laser printers (when the drum unit was separate from the toner cartridge) and clean them using downy fabric softener. Those were the days!

(what this has to do with the KIM-1 I don't know)...

Anywho... I'd like to play around with a KIM-1. I've never seen one in the wild ever.
    You can get most of the feeling with the various arduino emulators. These are small enough to hold in your hand.
    Dwight