Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What type soldering iron do you guys use?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Tell me about that eBay rework station. How is it for SMT work?.
    To be honest Chuck I haven't done much re-work with it but what I have done, it works perfectly but I also don't have anything to compare it to. The soldering gun is great on it. It heats up in seconds and the temps stays steady at whatever I set it to.

Blog Entries

I've used those cheap all-in-one chinese rework stations and I find it's the preference on what color/configuration you like as there's a few varieties available for identical configurations.
    Personally however I've been using Weller for 15 years now as the parts are abundant and perfectly useable stations like the WESD51 can still be had for under $100.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

I'm like Chuck, I have an old Welller with the same handle but a different base ( same 24vac transformer ). I have tips for 6,7 and 8. I've even used it to solder surface mount part ( using a microscope as my eyes are not that good ).
    I use a solder solderavac ( older version of the solder pull-it ). I've learned to be good at pulling chips without cutting the leads and not ripping pads. It is an art and take patients.
    Dwight

I next got a Weller gun, which was less hazardous (I picked up the Craftsman by the wrong end--once).
    You are not alone. There are a good number of people (if the advertising stock photos of people making technical repairs is to be believed) that just love to hold their soldering irons by the wrong end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

..Only recently have I started using the cheap Chinese hollow needles for PCB rework. Simple, but they do the job.
    Yep, I have a cheap set i ordered from china, they do the job pretty well, The one i use most is overdue for replacement, My fault i bent the bloody thing.

Blog Entries

I have a beat to shit RadioShack iron I purchased in the 90's to fix a C64 and the desoldering gun they also sold (soldering iron with a suction bulb attached). Have not used either one in a long while.

A slightly more modern soldering pencil with a knob to set temp I use for non critical stuff.

And some Chinese special 898D (I think that is the model) with digital temperature controlled iron and hot air station. Mostly I use the iron but I did use the hot air station to reflow a dead Radeon HD 7950 the other day and it works now.

For thru hole desoldering I have a Chinese handheld desoldering electric suction gun which I have used quite a bit.

I have to say in the last few years the cheap Chinese knockoffs have made life much easier repairing all this old junk.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    You are not alone. There are a good number of people (if the advertising stock photos of people making technical repairs is to be believed) that just love to hold their soldering irons by the wrong end.
    Those little things--this is the type of iron that I started off with:

When you pick up one of those the wrong way, you never forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    After all, they are called soldering pencils. One should hold it like a pencil, shouldn't one?
    Dwight

For example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-in-1-So...yABEgJHCfD_BwE

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kio5louvt2s

Comes with an assortment of tips; both heat sources can be used at the same time; has a built-in variable-voltage DC power supply and voltmeter; claimed accuracy of heat sources is 1 degree C.

Not as nice as Hakko; not as expensive, either.

-CH-

I have a few Weller WX2 stations that I use for everything. Highly recommended.

weller-12200_wx2_DV_WebXL.jpg
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me