Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What type soldering iron do you guys use?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Even though I have a decent Hakko desolder gun, I use a pretty inexpensive Chinese soldering Iron: https://www.ebay.com/itm/40194105910...m=401941059103

I have two with my primary being about 3 years old now. I have found it to be exceptionally reliable considering the price. I have found the temp knob to work rather well considering I have doubts initially. Its not the old Weller I had at work, but for my day to day tinkering its my reliable old shoe.
    Dunno Verault, pretty darn expensive.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Dunno Verault, pretty darn expensive.
    Well if you prefer hand-me-down I suppose you are right.
    I know they are Throw away irons, but I have had good success with them using them almost daily. Not bad if you can wait the 30 to 45 day delivery time.

Blog Entries

How can you tell what the tip temperature is on the Chinese cheapie?

Personally, I have reservations about having full line voltage on a metal-tipped tool cheaply made in China.

But maybe I'm just paranoid.

It has a temp dial. I can feel out the range by the speed at which solder melts or adding components. Will it lift a pad on the higher settings?? Sure of course. Does it work well on the mid to lower settings Absolutely.. How can I gauge the temp? Other than the usage I explained couldnt tell you.. Is it advisable? Probably not on paper but its worked well for my needs.

I started out with a Weller long ago, when it died i got an Aoyue solder desolder station. I grew tired of the so-so performance and since i had a xy-tronic single iron that is pretty good, i bought a xy-tronic solder desolder station. It performed below expectations. I now have a JBC solder desolder setup. It is a pleasure to use and has made my hobby much more enjoyable.
    Looking for: Altair 8800, Ithaca Intersystems boards, software, manuals.