Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tandy 2000 software/ keyboard

Default Tandy 2000 software/ keyboard

Just bought a Tandy 2000 with the original monochrome monitor (although I won't be picking it up until March) but it's missing the keyboard and I was wondering what I should be looking out for as far as compatible models. Will later 1000 keyboards work? Or maybe a model of trs-80?

Also, I know it's a "PC-incompatible" but what software will actually work with it and where can I get it? I need a copy of dos, probably Lotus, and maybe a game or 2 or some demo disks. Also, it's the hard drive model, if the hard drive is dead will I be able to use speedstor to get another drive working or do I need a specialty program?

Blog Entries

Should be lots of answers in the Tandy/Radio Shack forum.

Mike

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

There's was a tech bulletin that described tbe conversion of a Tandy 1000 k/b for use with a 2000. It's pretty simple.

This post is entirely appropriate for this forum incidentally.

Keep us abreast (i.e in mind) when you get an image the software. Some of the things that may not yet be available are Lotus 1-2-3, Symphony, Framework, Autocad, etc. Treat disks and drives with the greatest of care.

I have a lot of the software and manuals on tandy2000.com.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    There's was a tech bulletin that described tbe conversion of a Tandy 1000 k/b for use with a 2000. It's pretty simple.

This post is entirely appropriate for this forum incidentally.

Keep us abreast (i.e in mind) when you get an image the software. Some of the things that may not yet be available are Lotus 1-2-3, Symphony, Framework, Autocad, etc. Treat disks and drives with the greatest of care.
    Ok, that conversion should probably work. Hopefully I can find an original though so I have the matching badge!

Grumpyx, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely take advantage of that site for some disk images.

I know I can't write the 720k disk format on a 360k drive but a 1200k drive should be able to do it, right?

I took a drive from a 2000 to use on my imaging machine to image and make disks with. But others have had good results with other drives. I use a HxC floppy emulator as well, and saves from using up my floppy stash. I'm sure the Gotek floppy emulator would work too. Guess I should test that theory.

This wont help, but I have a 2000 keyboard running on my Tandy 1000 sx. Protocols are the same, except the 1000 keyboard has more pins than the 2000 plug. 2000 is 5 pin din, 1000 is 8 pin din.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I know I can't write the 720k disk format on a 360k drive but a 1200k drive should be able to do it, right?
    Yes. That will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    This wont help, but I have a 2000 keyboard running on my Tandy 1000 sx. Protocols are the same, except the 1000 keyboard has more pins than the 2000 plug. 2000 is 5 pin din, 1000 is 8 pin din.
    Can't you just make an 8 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN adapter to use a 1000 keyboard on a 2000? The 1000 keyboard has a signal BUSY* (BUSY NOT) that should be able to be left unconnected, the other signals appear to be the same.

Tom