Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Rodent Infested PS/2 Model 85 - The Progress So Far

Default Restoring a Rodent Infested PS/2 Model 85 - The Progress So Far

I'm back, and boy have I got a treat for you! So, some of you may remember that around a year ago I picked up a nice haul of IBM PS/2 systems. Specifically, two Model 95s and two Model 85 K/Ns. All of them were dirty and in various states of disrepair, but one of them was particularly bad as it at one point had been home to a family of mice. In case you never saw the original photos, here's a selection of them after I managed to pry the rusted panels off of it...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

As you can see, the previous tenants (whom entered through a missing plate on the front) decided to chew out that good 'ol black IBM foam and make their nest in it and on the XGA-2 card (which I had cannibalized for it's VRAM chips and blue plastic a few months prior). Obviously, they proceeded to ruin absolutely everything electronic inside of this system with the exception of the system board, while also leaving behind a whole bunch of grime and rust which ended up "fusing" the inner metal front panel to the chassis. The first step was to obviously sterilize this mess and I did so by liberally spraying bleach all over everything, letting it sit a few minutes and then spraying down it down with hot water. Rinse and repeat (or more literally, repeat and rinse) another time and I finally felt a little more comfortable handling the pieces. After allowing the parts to dry in the sun for a day, I then broke out a sand blaster and proceeded to strip all of the corrosion off of the side panel, inner front panel and out of the case, as well as scrape some of the corrosion off of the metallized plastics. After about an hour I had finally managed to remove almost all of the corrosion and the case finally started to look decent. All that was left was to spray a coating of cold galvanizing spray over the now bare metal and let it dry, which due to the ravages of life took a whopping six months. Man, that was some slow-drying spray.

4-min-min.jpg

5-min-min.jpg

All in all, I'd say it turned out pretty well! Not as "shiny" as it once was and it may be a shade or two darker, but compared to what it was before I'd say this is an amazing improvement. At this point, I realized I had a choice on what to do next. I could either put all of the original surviving bits back in, hunt down the remaining pieces that were ruined in the great mousening and restore this back to a 9585 K/N system or, since I had to buy all new internals short of a system board anyway and since the case is otherwise identical to that of the 8595/9595, I could convert this to a Model 95. After a bit of thought, I decided to do the latter as I already had a working 85 K/N system, plus there was a lot of miscellaneous parts and bezels from an 8595 up for auction on eBay for dirt cheap. On quick purchase later and these were here just begging to be installed in something...

6-min-min.jpg
    On a side note, I think the machine these were pulled out of suffered a very similar fate, as a lot of the plastics had similar looking grime corrosion built up in places, so in way I see this as giving two machines a new life as one.

8-min-min.jpg

7-min-min.jpg

9-min-min.jpg

And here is the system as it sits now! ...and by system I mean just a complete case. In the near future I'll be hunting down everything else that I need to finish this system up (an 8595 system board, a T0 386 Complex, side-panel fan, power supply, diskette drive and 8595 operator panel). I've also stuck the 85 system board, case badge, expansion card guide plate, op. panel bezel and rear bezel inside a box in the event I ever want to restore this to an 85 K/N, but for now I'm fairly happy with my plans to convert this to an 8595. Well, that's all for now! I'll hopefully have another update for you all soon!

Side thought: Since this was originally a Model 85 that I'm converting to a Model 95, wouldn't that technically make this an 85-95? Or maybe a 95-85?
    Last edited by ButINeededThatName; January 11th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

"...the great mousening...", love it!

Looks great even though I don't quite understand the six months dry time for the galvanizing spray. Was it tacky for that length of time?

Nothing near as bad as this case, but I have dealt with the remnants of rodent urine at the bottom of server cases and white vinegar and some light scrubbing did the trick for me.

Do did a fantastic job. It looks really great!

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    "...the great mousening...", love it!

Looks great even though I don't quite understand the six months dry time for the galvanizing spray. Was it tacky for that length of time?

Nothing near as bad as this case, but I have dealt with the remnants of rodent urine at the bottom of server cases and white vinegar and some light scrubbing did the trick for me.
    That's just my way of saying that life made me shelve the project for six months The spray actually worked fairly well and dried within a couple of hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster_in_Jax View Post
    Do did a fantastic job. It looks really great!
    Thanks!

Question "cold galvanizing spray" details?

"cold galvanizing spray"

Brand and details [so maybe someone could order some?]

There are some PS/2s out there with noticeable rust on the frame, Evapo-Rust does a boffo job removing the rust, but also the coating on the base metal.

T0 386 Complex

Gung Ho!

Got the popcorn popped and waiting.

The Model 90 - 386 refdisk image on my site has the Bejing virus on it.

Anyways, good luck with the T0 / 95 attempt. I have a 95 refdisk ver 1.01 here if you get curb-stomped. The T0 was pretty early, so the refdisk may need to be early as well.

I have a model 80 and rodents had a little fun in there but not that bad. Cleaned up ok. Thank Goodness the battery was mounted forward of the system board because it barfed all over the bottom of the case. It has 2, 2MB memory cards and the system board works fine. I just need a floppy and SCSI HDD, both are croaked.
    PS/2s--M-30,M-40SX,M-50Z with AOX Micromaster 386DX, M-57, M-70, M-77, M-80

Quote Originally Posted by ardent-blue View Post
    "cold galvanizing spray"

Brand and details [so maybe someone could order some?]

There are some PS/2s out there with noticeable rust on the frame, Evapo-Rust does a boffo job removing the rust, but also the coating on the base metal.
    I used Rust-Oleum "Professional" Cold-Galvanizing Spray. The coating ends up being a shade or two darker and not as "shiny", but when you redo the whole inside of a case it ends up looking pretty good and "like it belongs".

Quote Originally Posted by ardent-blue View Post
    T0 386 Complex

Gung Ho!

Got the popcorn popped and waiting.

The Model 90 - 386 refdisk image on my site has the Bejing virus on it.

Anyways, good luck with the T0 / 95 attempt. I have a 95 refdisk ver 1.01 here if you get curb-stomped. The T0 was pretty early, so the refdisk may need to be early as well.
    Thanks! I know the T0 can be finicky and I believe it only takes 1Mb and 2Mb 85ns sticks, but I only plan on loading it out with four pairs of 2Mb SIMMs, an XGA-2 Card, Token Ring Adapter and Cached SCSI Controller anyways, so it's not like I'll be throwing anything exotic at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    I have a model 80 and rodents had a little fun in there but not that bad. Cleaned up ok. Thank Goodness the battery was mounted forward of the system board because it barfed all over the bottom of the case. It has 2, 2MB memory cards and the system board works fine. I just need a floppy and SCSI HDD, both are croaked.
    Oh man, I bought a Model 80 A31 Blue Lightning almost two years ago and I have yet to be able to boot it up and do anything with it on the account of the damned capacitor plague that the proprietary drives suffer from. I have six of the card-edge style drives and none of them work.
    Last edited by ButINeededThatName; January 18th, 2020 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    I have 0661 320 and 400MB drives, if you're going for "original".

Just a small update: It's almost there! I've managed to acquire and install a refurbed power supply, operator panel and the side panel fan and I also have a 386 complex as well as four 2mb 85ns SIMMs for this ready and waiting to be installed! All I need to do now is track down an early 8595 planar and I'll be set.
    IMG_20200206_161328-min.jpg
    Last edited by ButINeededThatName; February 6th, 2020 at 01:10 PM.