Image Map Image Map

Thread: WTB: 68 wire ribbon/flat/crimp cable

Default WTB: 68 wire ribbon/flat/crimp cable

Hi,

Anyone have extra 68 wire ribbon cable they want to get rid of? I am looking for 10 to 30 feet depending on price. This has to be the thinner cable as I want to use it for crimping my own 68pin wide SCSI cables. TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Does this stuff use the same spacing as IDE 80-conductor stuff? Should be pretty simple to get a batch of that and strip off the extra 12 conductors.

That may be an idea Chuck. I believe the scsi is 30 gauge wire.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    That may be an idea Chuck. I believe the scsi is 30 gauge wire.
    The AMP / TE Connectivity 5390377-7 68-position IDC connector is intended for Solid Wire Size (AWG): 32 30 cable. ($4.60 each if you buy them directly from TE, adds up if you need more than just a couple).

www.te.com/usa-en/product-5390377-7.html

3M 3749/68 is an example of 0.025" 30 AWG Solid, TPE insulation flat cable that "meets SCSI-3 Fast-20 characteristic impedance requirements". I haven't looked at the SCSI specs to see what the cable requirements are, and if the specs for 80-conductor ATA cable are close enough for practical purposes.

multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/22017O/3mtm-round-conductor-flat-cable-025-3749-series-ts0068.pdf

Blog Entries

Personally, I'd just buy some SCSI-3 cables from Cables Direct or the like. At least you get the round ones.

Blog Entries

What speed are you going for? The UW320 need the woven wires I think.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

As far as speed goes it is Wide SCSI (so SCSI-2 x 2 40mb/s). I have round cables and they don't work. This is for the Systempro and it has to do with the drive cage.

Cage is setup at the bottom of the tower as

1 3 5 7
    2 4 6 8

So cable has to go up -> down then across -> down -> up (you get the idea). The drives have a shroud covering them for airflow management which makes space tight. Even w/o the shroud it would be tight. I am hoping if I have a long enough cable with better connector placement I can make twist and turns with a flat cable to have it fit....

Can't help you with SCSI cables, but could I ask which SystemPro you have? I wrote the firmware for the original IDA. Still have my prototype IDA but SystemPros, especially the original, are as rare as hen's teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    What speed are you going for? The UW320 need the woven wires I think.
    Hitachi Cable had a product line of Micro Quick Twist (MQT) Ribbon Cables that were suitable for up to at least Ultra 160 LVD applications. From a quick look around online I haven't found any sources where someone could buy a spool of this cable to build their own SCSI cables if they wanted to do so. I also haven't found any other vendors of similar cable. I don't know if 3M had similar products. Maybe there used to be multiple vendors of this type of cable that haven't had any market for it for a while.

www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/products/ribbon/mqt/pdfs/pvc-stranded-mqt-cables.pdf

www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/products/ribbon/mqt/pdfs/tpo-stranded-solid-mqt-cables.pdf

www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/products/ribbon/mqt/pdfs/pvc-stranded-sub-mqt-cables.pdf

www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/products/ribbon/mqt/pdfs/pvc-dual-laminated-sub-mqt-cable.pdf

www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/products/ribbon/mqt/pdfs/tpo-dual-laminated-mqt-cable.pdf

If someone only needs to support SE SCSI applications then twisted pair ribbon cable should not be necessary.