Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1701 POST error after Low Level Format of a ST-225

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Thanks modem7, I did select 'y' for 'dynamic' configuration and typed in the drive specs. I believe I also tried selecting 'no' and also needed to type in those specs. There is currently no jumpers in any of the jumper locations on the card, which is factory default.
    According to the installation guide, answering N to the "Are you dynamically configuring the drive - answer Y/N" question, gets the controller to use jumper configuration.
    Then, per table B1, because jumpers W17 and W18 are not present, the controller assumes that a drive of 615 cylinders and 4 heads is attached.
    The LLF code then prompts, "Press 'Y' to begin formatting drive C with interleave 03".

[ There is no prompt to enter drive geometry (cylinder count and head count). ]

Dynamic configuration

For an ST-225, dynamic configuration has the benefit of allowing a quicker step rate to be used (e.g. the ST-225 can use 12us). However, with dynamic configuration, the controller has to store the the 'dynamic' information somewhere. The norm is for an area of the hard disk to be used.

If that area is bad, I doubt that the LLF code is going to inform you of that (ROM based LLF code is primitive). That is why I suggested 'jumper configuration' (which does not prompt one for drive geometry).

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    FDISK/MBR doesn't alter the partition. It just rewrites the Master Boot Record which corrects any drive geometry misconfiguration that may be present.
    Although, per [here], if the two signature bytes are intact, FDISK /MBR will only rewrite the boot code portion of the Master Boot Record (MBR), not the whole MBR.

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions ! It is very much appreciated !! Just when I was about to give up, I did try 1 more time to do another low level format and this time, when she rebooted, I did not have the 1701 error. I was also able to run FDISK and the drive was detected. I created a primary DOS partition and used the full capacity of the drive (21MB). After she rebooted again, I tried a high level format but upon doing so, received an error "Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable." I am currently running SpeedStor at the moment and will report back shortly but was wondering if there was anything else you guys can recommend ?

Track 0 bad is not too uncommon with drives of that age. If that's actually the problem there's not really much else to do.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

It sounds to me as if your drive is circling the drain. The bad track 0 message says that the FORMAT program couldn't write out the basic boot information for the partition. I suppose you could try a few more LLF passes to see if you can convince the drive that you're serious, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Well, I actually tried FDISK again, deleted/created a partition and after it rebooted, I was able to successfully preform a high level format and transfer system files over. I am happy to report I now have a bootable MFM hard drive. My first working MFM hard drive ! Thank you guys for taking the time to help me. I am greatly appreciative !!

So what did you do to get rid of the 1701 error? Glad to hear it finally formatted.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    So what did you do to get rid of the 1701 error? Glad to hear it finally formatted.
    Thanks ! I think Chuck was correct about trying a few more LLF passes. I tried one last time. It rebooted when it was complete and the 1701 error was gone.