Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model I monitor as composite monitor

The Model I monitors were built as Model I monitors. They weren't built as TVs and then converted. The original monitors were based on the KTR121S chassis, later they were changed to the KTR123S chassis. Essentially the CRT and main pc board of the TV were installed and the computer Video Interface Module was installed instead of the TV's Picture Interface Module. The audio parts and tuners were left off since they aren't needed for the Model I.

Tom

hornbetw,
    I believe you are mistaken, as the Model 1 Monitor was actually a RCA Television Chassis with the Tuner
    removed. I found my SAMS 1713 Photofacts for the RCA Chassis KCS203A/D, and have it scanned,
    with TIF's and a PDF built. The Tuner section of the SAMS Photofacts doesn't apply as the Monitor
    doesn't have a Tuner.

Larry

SAMS-1173-KCS203A-Cover.pdf
    Last edited by ldkraemer; January 31st, 2020 at 01:33 PM.

If the argument is whether they were fully working unsold televisions that were then later modified to be monitors, that is one thing.

If it is just that the original *design* was intended to be a TV and then later modified and manufactured as a monitor, that is another.

The latter seems much more likely unless there really was a warehouse full of unsold already-built televisions.

The common statement that "it is just a TV with the tuner removed" can mean either scenario.

The story that the first batch of monitors were unsold inventory literally pulled from a warehouse and reprocessed appeared in an early issue of 80 Micro. Whether it's true or not I'm certainly not in a position to know for sure.

Considering that in the end they made about a quarter million (give or take) Model I's undoubtedly later runs were purpose-built. So both things could be true.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

We had a TRS Model 1 in our lab back around 1980 or so. It had one purpose, and that was to load a cassette program with a chemical formula algorithm, done in BASIC, which did an evaluation of a process. If that RCA monitor was anywhere near being a TV it would have been crapola. I believe RCA just had a boat load of those things and Tandy came along at the right time.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Here's what I'm talking about with the labels:

(Looks like I misremembered, they only differ by a month.)
    Attached Images Attached Images