Image Map Image Map

Thread: Adding a 2nd floppy drive to an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard

Default Adding a 2nd floppy drive to an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard

I want to add a 2nd floppy to my Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard. I know the on-board floppy controller only supports 1 drive, but you can disable it in the BIOS setup. I was looking at putting in something like a GoldStar Prime 2 9434 controller card. Does anyone know how well this would work?

Blog Entries

Depends on what OS you want to run. XP has a nasty habit of ignoring the BIOS settings and reverting to the integrated controller. Win98SE doesn't seem to care. Some BIOSes refuse to release the FDC port and IRQ, even with the floppy disabled. Try it and see.

Don't try to go beyond the 440BX chipset using an ISA controller. It probably won't work.

The good news is I am running Win98SE, so I feel a lot better about giving it a try. Thanks for the info.

You could also boot a LiveCD, of Ubuntu 7.04 or 8.04 as it would support 4 floppy's of any variety.

Larry

I installed the GoldStar Prime 2 9434 controller in my SE440BX-2 system and got mixed results. I disabled the onboard floppy controller in the BIOS. That automatically gave me an option for a 2nd floppy drive. I configured A: as a 1.44MB 3.5" drive and B: as a 1.2MB 5.25 drive. This all works well in DOS. I can read and write to both floppies. The problem is with Windows 98 SE. Both drives give a status of not ready while in Windows 98 SE. I can only assume Windows 98 SE is trying to use the onboard floppy controller and is causing a conflict. I hooked up my TEAC USB 1.44MB 3.5" floppy and that works fine in Windows 98 SE. I only wanted both drives for DOS anyway. I will use the USB floppy in Windows 98 SE and the other 2 floppy drives for DOS. A bit of a compromise, but one I can easily live with.

Just a quick follow-up. By disabling the Standard Floppy Controller in the Device Manager in Windows 98 SE, I can access both drives just fine. Just uses the floppy drives like in Windows 3.x. This is the route I am going to and now won't need my USB floppy, unless something else comes up. So everything worked out in the end.

Blog Entries

I was going to suggest that--the other way is to delete the floppy port driver and let Win98 default to using real-mode BIOS calls. Slows things up a bit, but hey, it's floppy drives, right?

Too bad that it won't work in NT/2000/XP.

I found another another issue. I was backing up my system using a USB drive, Hiren's BootCD and Symantec Ghost. XP won't load now because of the floppy controller conflict. It just stalls and won't boot to the desktop. I switched to Clonezilla and that works just fine.