Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IBM Tandon TM100-2A Floppy Drive Format ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    In my meager experience, I've found that, by and large, perceived errors in alignment are mostly due to the track 0 sensor being contaminated by dirt. In almost all drives, this is an optical sensor, rather than a mechanical switch.

Of course, what happens is the afflicted person readjusts alignment and then is frustrated by said alignment not holding. Dirt moves. All that was probably required in the first place was to clean the sensor.
    FWIW, I have never had to align a floppy drive. Cleaning has always been sufficient to remedy any existing issue.

On top of that I've run many thousands upon thousands of floppy disks through my systems over time.

So, in my experience, alignment is an extremely rare if ever needed procedural option and want to reaffirm what Chuck just said.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I have a Tandon M100-2A drive. I just checked and there is an upper and a lower head. I'm guessing the OP has one that has been modified.

-CH-

IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3186.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    I have a Tandon M100-2A drive. I just checked and there is an upper and a lower head. I'm guessing the OP has one that has been modified.
    Charlie, you must have missed something:

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    This is actually a 360K drive. I am using this drive to make a bootable 180K floppy for the drive I would like to test. I actually meant to post this image below. Formatting the disk normally do show Chuck the results:

Attachment 58654

Let me know what you think. Thanks All !!
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Not only that, but the earlier photos clearly show that the upper head is MIA.

How's that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Please see attached image of a FORMAT A: command with a brand new 360K floppy disk.

Attachment 58645

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    How's that possible?
    He's got two drives.

Thanks again all for the help !! I am assuming because I fully dissembled the floppy drive and reassembled it again, the head did not align to track 0. All I did was format a disk as 180K in a known working drive and copied some files onto the disk. I used this disk in the single sided drive to attempted to pull up a directory. It failed a bunch of times. I adjusted the set screw by turning it first counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn and after each turn, I tried to pull up a directory. After about 2 full rotations and failing to get a directory, I moved the screw clockwise 1/4 each time while attempting to read a directory of the disk each time. All of a sudden, I got a directory of the disk ! Very exciting !! LOL. Anyways, I am sure you guys know this stuff but I figured I post for someone with the same issue.

I have a few more projects pertaining to this 5150 with questions that I will be posting in the next few days because y'all rock !!

Chuck, you think this drive should be a double sided drive ? I wouldn't doubt it. This would lead me to believe that a head has failed and that someone not only removed the faulty head, but went through the trouble of installing a "fake" head on the top ? You got me thinking now... Only cause I think a single sided drive is basically useless and I do have other similar drives laying around with heads on the top that have a ton of other issues. I might just pull the top head off one of these drives and install it on this drive. What are the chances of this operation being successful ? LOL

Blog Entries

Take a look at the maintenance manual, page 6-29. Note that the upper head assembly uses a felt pad. I can't tell with the drive you've shown.

Take a look at the maintenance manual, page 6-29. Note that the upper head assembly uses a felt pad. I can't tell with the drive you've shown.
    Yes, my drive also had a felt pad on top. I just called it a "fake head" lol. Now, what gets me thinking is the model number of this drive as it contains the "2"