Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IBM Tandon TM100-2A Floppy Drive Format ?

Default IBM Tandon TM100-2A Floppy Drive Format ?

Greetings all,

I just finished restoring/rebuilding an IBM Tandon TM100-2A 5.25 floppy drive and would like to test this drive in an IBM 5150. This is the only drive installed currently. This is a single sided drive and most of my drives are double sided. Thing is I not sure what version of DOS I can use to format a disk with system files so the TM100-2A can boot my 5150 ?

Thank you !!

Any version of DOS should work. You just have to use the command line options on Format to indicate that you are creating a single sided diskette.

You can specify the geometry or using a few switches or just use /f:180 to indicate a single sided, double density 5.25 inch diskette.

Thank you for the reply. I actually have tried that with DOS 6.22 but the system files will not fit on as 180K is too small. The only other system I have with a 5.25 floppy drive is an IBM 5155 running IBM PC DOS 3.2 (I believe) but wasn't sure of the command to use to format 180K. It has FORMATS and not FORMAT.
    Last edited by MaCJaX; January 15th, 2020 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries

DOS 1.0-1.1 was shipped on 160K disks. I'm not sure about 2.0, but it's possible.

After that, it was all double-sided.

But a TM100-2 is double-sided; the TM100-1 is single-sided. So color me confused.

Ref.

lol, I was thinking the same thing Chuck after I posted the model number that the 2 designated the number of heads. I assure you that I do have a label on the drive "TM-100-2A" and a date of 1984. This drive only has one head. Check out the pics:

IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2471.JPG

Blog Entries

It looks like the upper read/write head connector was detached. Maybe the previous owner did something sensible like leave the cable inside so reconnecting it and changing the side select jumper would turn it back into a double sided drive.

Opening it up and verifying whether it has two read/write heads and simply isn't able to use one or it actually has one read/write head and a felt pad might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I actually have tried that with DOS 6.22 but the system files will not fit on as 180K is too small. The only other system I have with a 5.25 floppy drive is an IBM 5155 running IBM PC DOS 3.2 (I believe) but wasn't sure of the command to use to format 180K. It has FORMATS and not FORMAT.
    You are telling me that the two hidden files and COMMAND.COM require more than 180KB of space? If so I'm a bit surprised by that. FORMAT /S /F:180 should work to create a bootable DOS diskette and there should be plenty of room for the two hidden files and COMMAND.COM

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    It looks like the upper read/write head connector was detached. Maybe the previous owner did something sensible like leave the cable inside so reconnecting it and changing the side select jumper would turn it back into a double sided drive.
    I did a full restoration of this drive and indeed, there is only one head on the bottom. If the top head was missing, there would be an empty space but there isn't. Check out the pics. Only one bottom head with one cable. Maybe the factory messed up and put the wrong model number on ?

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    You are telling me that the two hidden files and COMMAND.COM require more than 180KB of space? If so I'm a bit surprised by that. FORMAT /S /F:180 should work to create a bootable DOS diskette and there should be plenty of room for the two hidden files and COMMAND.COM
    Yes, I promise you. I type FORMAT A: /F:180 /S and it cannot copy the system files over on a DOS 6.22 OS. COMMAND.COM is 54K but there is also hidden files like MSDOS.SYS which is 38K and IO.SYS which is 40K.

IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2471.JPG

Have you tried running the two operations independently?

E.g.,

FORMAT A: /F:180

then,

SYS C:

This can sometimes work better than the other way.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step