Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IBM Tandon TM100-2A Floppy Drive Format ?

Blog Entries

Of course, this invites the question of why one would want to boot MSDOS 6.22 using a single-sided 48tpi 40-track drive...

I’m with you. If I were using a single sided drive, I’d assume it was because I was trying to go for some period correct setup of some sort, so DOS 6.22 is over a decade out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Of course, this invites the question of why one would want to boot MSDOS 6.22 using a single-sided 48tpi 40-track drive...
    Good point Chuck. It wasn't that I wanted to. It was that I assumed it was possible with 6.22.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    On a single-sided drive? Remarkable!
    This is actually a 360K drive. I am using this drive to make a bootable 180K floppy for the drive I would like to test. I actually meant to post this image below. Formatting the disk normally do show Chuck the results:

F180.JPG

Let me know what you think. Thanks All !!

Blog Entries

That looks right--you can copy over (in this order) IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM and you'll have a bootable floppy.

If the .SYS files aren't visible on your hard drive, you can use the DOS command "ATTRIB -RHS IO.SYS" to make IO.SYS visible (and do likewise for MSDOS.SYS). Then, plain old COPY will get you the files transferred to your floppy.

Thanks Chuck !! That worked ! I was able to copy those files without a hiccup. However, my floppy didn't boot. I need to disassemble the floppy drive again and see what's going on with it. I might need to re-align the head. I was able to get my ST-225 up and running for this 5150 so it's booting from this hard drive and when I try to check the directory of the disk, I get "General failure reading drive A." Looks like it's back to the drawing board. The good news is I don't need to have a bootable 180K floppy as I finally got the hard drive working but I am happy to have this disk for future projects.

Also, I was able to format a disk and successfully read it with the same drive but get sector not found errors on other machines. Looks like I will need to somehow align the head. Anyone have any good links to point me in the right direction ? I have never tried to align a head before. I am assuming I just need to tinker with the stop screw in the back which helps the head start at track 0 ?

Holy crap. That was easy. I just played around with the screw and now the drive can read disks from other drives !!

But Chuck, those instructions didn't work. Well, I mean it did copy those files over but the disk isn't bootable. I believe the FORMAT A: /S command does something the the MBR on the disk, maybe where just copying doesn't work. I kinda remember this but i'm going back to 1993, when I had a DOS machine.

Thanks all for the suggestions !! It's really appreciated !!

Blog Entries

Did you change the attributes of IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS on the floppy back to "system"? (attrib +s).

If that doesn't work, rename drvspace.bin on your hard disk to something else temporarily, then try your sys or format /s. You can always rename the file back.

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    ... Looks like I will need to somehow align the head. Anyone have any good links to point me in the right direction ? I have never tried to align a head before. I am assuming I just need to tinker with the stop screw in the back which helps the head start at track 0 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Holy crap. That was easy. I just played around with the screw and now the drive can read disks from other drives !!
    In case required later:

1. The manufacturer's (complete) head alignment procedure is contained in the 'Operating & Service Manual' for the TM100 (found online). The procedure involves the use of an oscilloscope and a special factory-created alignment floppy (cannot be copied).

2. An alternate procedure (with disclaimers) is at [here].

Blog Entries

In my meager experience, I've found that, by and large, perceived errors in alignment are mostly due to the track 0 sensor being contaminated by dirt. In almost all drives, this is an optical sensor, rather than a mechanical switch.

Of course, what happens is the afflicted person readjusts alignment and then is frustrated by said alignment not holding. Dirt moves. All that was probably required in the first place was to clean the sensor.