Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5170 - what are the additional internal HD options?

Default IBM 5170 - what are the additional internal HD options?

My 5170 has a 30MB MFM drive in it with an original IBM controller. I think it is MFM. It is 30MB, but I'd like to have a little more internal storage, what options are there to add an additional HD controller with from CF/microSD. It would be okay if I needed to load a device driver to make drive D: show up.

An IDE/floppy adapter can be installed in place of the original controller, but youíll still be limited to the drive types listed in the BIOS setup. Mine has the earliest BIOS and it doesnít seem to like overlay software like ontrack. Iíve got a 2gb ide drive in it and Iíve just selected the biggest drive in the list, around 100mb, and since most modern IDE drives do LBA translation, it doesnít matter that the specs donít match. Some earlier IDE drives only had a few translations. I donít know how CF cards behave, it probably depends on the card.

Blog Entries

There were some ISA IDE controllers with their own BIOS (e.g. Promise).

Most RLL controllers have their own BIOS and floppy sections (e.g. WD1006V-SR2). There you set the normal BIOS type to 1 and the card's BIOS takes over.

Then, of course, there are SCSI host adapters and drives.

I should have also said that (1) I want to keep the MFM/IBM controller, and (2) That I don't want to add another hard drive. Given those limitations what options are there?

What do you mean by 'a little more internal storage'?

If 25 to 30 MB more is enough you could try Stacker on your existing drive. FWIW, Stacker also allows you to create compressed floppies that load a driver to give you access to the compressed data on that floppy.

Alternatively you could use a later version of DOS with a built-in compression system, i.e., DriveSpace, DoubleSpace, Double Disk etc.
    PM me if you're looking for 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks. EMail ď Ē For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    (2) That I don't want to add another hard drive.
    Use a DOM instead of a harddrive then?

Exactly - DOM, CF, microSD, etc. Would any of those work with the existing HD/controller setup?

It's all a matter of compatibility. You'll need to find an IDE interface card that's compatible with your MFM card. Most likely you won't be able to ascertain that with certainty until you actually try it out in the 5170.
    PM me if you're looking for 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks. EMail ď Ē For everything else, Take Another Step

You need an IDE card, that can be setup as a secondary controller. But what software is needed to support this? You could use a card with a BIOS, like Chuck suggested. Or perhaps the XT IDE BIOS can be used?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    You need an IDE card, that can be setup as a secondary controller. But what software is needed to support this? You could use a card with a BIOS, like Chuck suggested. Or perhaps the XT IDE BIOS can be used?
    The XTIDE can have issues with the 5170 BIOS.