Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: AST Advantage Adventure 6066d BIOS Update

  1. #11

    Default

    Then use the ide channel on the sound card for the CD drive.

    Use the sound card IDE channel for the CD drive

    Use the onboard IDE channel for the hard drive.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DankEngihn View Post
    Then use the ide channel on the sound card for the CD drive.

    Use the sound card IDE channel for the CD drive

    Use the onboard IDE channel for the hard drive.
    Unless I'm doing something wrong there, that doesn't work either!
    That might be potentially related again to the bios, it has a toggle between onboard and expansion card IDE support, you can have one but not the other. I don't know if that would affect the sound card's IDE channel but it didn't come up in Windows 95 even with the proper drivers installed.

  3. #13

    Default

    Looks like there is a jumper on the motherboard, E14, to update the BIOS on boot.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Looks like there is a jumper on the motherboard, E14, to update the BIOS on boot.
    So unfortunate, I have this --> https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...S-486-202.html revision of motherboard, seems like there is a previous revision of motherboard that came in the same 6066d that does have the E14 jumper, this revision has nothing of the sort!

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the731272 View Post
    So unfortunate, I have this --> https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...S-486-202.html revision of motherboard, seems like there is a previous revision of motherboard that came in the same 6066d that does have the E14 jumper, this revision has nothing of the sort!
    Just in case, I looked over the board very carefully to see if maybe it had unpopulated pads for an E14, but no such luck.

  6. #16

    Default

    Do you have an ISA IDE controller?

    Try setting the bios to use the external controller, and use that for the hard disk and optical drive.

    It needs to have 2 ide channels, the hard drive as master on one, and the optical drive as slave on the other

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DankEngihn View Post
    Do you have an ISA IDE controller?

    Try setting the bios to use the external controller, and use that for the hard disk and optical drive.

    It needs to have 2 ide channels, the hard drive as master on one, and the optical drive as slave on the other
    I unfortunately don't have any ISA IDE controllers.

  8. #18

    Default

    The sound card that you were using that had the IDE channel on it, what card was it?

    You most likely need to install drivers for it before the optical drive will be recognized.

    Hook up the hard drive to the onboard IDE controller, set as master.

    Connect the optical drive to the sound card, and make sure it is set at master as well.

    In the bios, set it to use the onboard IDE controller, and enter the hard drive parameters. If there's an option for a second drive, set it to "none" or "disabled"

    Install the drivers for the sound card.

    Creative cards have a specific CD driver

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DankEngihn View Post
    The sound card that you were using that had the IDE channel on it, what card was it?

    You most likely need to install drivers for it before the optical drive will be recognized.

    Hook up the hard drive to the onboard IDE controller, set as master.

    Connect the optical drive to the sound card, and make sure it is set at master as well.

    In the bios, set it to use the onboard IDE controller, and enter the hard drive parameters. If there's an option for a second drive, set it to "none" or "disabled"

    Install the drivers for the sound card.

    Creative cards have a specific CD driver
    Its a CT2770, SB16 Value.
    Had alot of trouble finding drivers for it, only found Windows 3.1 drivers which broke my Win 95 install. There are also drivers that come with Win 95 itself, never got a CD drive to appear with that.
    Maybe I didn't look hard enough for the drivers though.

  10. #20

    Default

    That's not an IDE interface, it's a Panasonic interface. Is your optical drive IDE? If so, that's why it's not working.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •