Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AST Advantage Adventure 6066d BIOS Update

Default AST Advantage Adventure 6066d BIOS Update

Hello all,

Looking for a bit of help here if any of you have some insight.
    I've got this old 6066d, works okay, except for the fact that the 2.02 bios version is bugged and fails to detect a hard drive with a CD drive attached to the IDE bus.
    I've been through as much troubleshooting as I can stomach. At this point, I just need to get off this crappy revision.

I have searched far and wide across the internet to get this thing flashed. I looked at Uniflash, it's questionable whether it supports the chipset in the 6066d, and lists no support for the ROM chip that's in the system.
    On one far flung corner of the internet I found a document from AST that says there is a program called "UPBIOS.EXE", some more searching and I was able to find an UPBIOS.EXE for a different AST model. The ONLY UPBIOS.EXE I'm able to find for AST computers seemingly anywhere. Unfortunately the only thing that this UPBIOS.EXE will do for me is say that the ROM image I'm providing it is the wrong size, even with a /force switch in place. Really irritating.

Basically this is my last resort before I start buying some programming equipment to do this manually. Not having a CD drive is quite a large impairment!

TL;DR: Need to know if Uniflash will work on a 6066d, or if someone has a working version of UPBIOS.EXE for the 6066d.

Thanks!

Are the jumpers set right? The CD drive is slave, and the hard drive is master?

Make sure the cable orientation is correct. (Done this before too many times)

Quote Originally Posted by DankEngihn View Post
    Are the jumpers set right? The CD drive is slave, and the hard drive is master?

Make sure the cable orientation is correct. (Done this before too many times)
    Yes, I've tripple checked it. I know it's a bios bug because in the changelog for version 3.0 they specifically say something along the lines of having fixed CD + HDD detection. I've tried different HDDs and CD drives as well, no improvement.

Found em.

http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/as...bios/index.htm

There's revisions 3.00 and 3.02

Found em.

http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/as...bios/index.htm

There's revisions 3.00 and 3.02
    Yes, so the problem is is that those contain the flash image ONLY. They don't contain the / an implement for flashing the bios, which is why i need upbios.exe or something similar...

Thanks though.

googling suggests that maybe there is an update option built into your current bios that you can choose and it will read the flash.ast file from your floppy. I'm not speaking from actual experience though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/r...s-flash.57860/

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    googling suggests that maybe there is an update option built into your current bios that you can choose and it will read the flash.ast file from your floppy. I'm not speaking from actual experience though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/r...s-flash.57860/
    I'll have to double check this once i get home. I swear i've been up and down the bios enough times that I should have seen it. It will be truely embarrassing if the solution was staring me in the face the whole time, lol

Quote Originally Posted by the731272 View Post
    I'll have to double check this once i get home. I swear i've been up and down the bios enough times that I should have seen it. It will be truely embarrassing if the solution was staring me in the face the whole time, lol
    Okay. I double and triple checked. Nothing in the BIOS about updating it. I even tried with the flash floppy image inserted to see if there was somethin weird going on... No dice.

Do you have a sound card with an IDE port on it?

Some motherboards have bizzare issues with CD-ROM drives. My Compaq Prolinea 4/66 has problems with CD drives, as does my Packard Bell Legend 300SX

Do you have a sound card with an IDE port on it?

Some motherboards have bizzare issues with CD-ROM drives. My Compaq Prolinea 4/66 has problems with CD drives, as does my Packard Bell Legend 300SX
    It does, but the behavior persists in exactly the same way with the card removed.