Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody tried the new MS Edge?

Default Anybody tried the new MS Edge?

It's the Chromium Edge browser and it's not just for Windows 10 any more. It runs on Windows 7 and 8 as well. I've been using it on 7 and it seems quite good and fast. I normally use Chrome but this has me thinking. I'm going to use it for a while and see how it compares (to Chrome) but so far it passes the sniff test.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/1...lable-download
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I can't imagine why you wouldn't just use Chromium. Chrome's UI is crap, but it's not as crap as Edge's.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Chrome's UI is crap, but it's not as crap as Edge's.
    So, you've tried the Chromium-based Edge?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I've briefly experienced Edge while installing and configuring a NOS Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 which has Windows 10 Enterprise pre-installed. It seems much as IE11 or later (if there is such a thing). I use FireFox 72 as my browser of choice, purely for the anti-tracking and tab & password synch feature, as I have multiple laptops and tower systems in use.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I've briefly experienced Edge while installing and configuring a NOS Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 which has Windows 10 Enterprise pre-installed. It seems much as IE11 or later (if there is such a thing). I use FireFox 72 as my browser of choice, purely for the anti-tracking and tab & password synch feature, as I have multiple laptops and tower systems in use.
    The Chromium based Edge wouldn't be in an OEM image on an M81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It's the Chromium Edge browser and it's not just for Windows 10 any more. It runs on Windows 7 and 8 as well. I've been using it on 7 and it seems quite good and fast. I normally use Chrome but this has me thinking. I'm going to use it for a while and see how it compares (to Chrome) but so far it passes the sniff test.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/1...lable-download
    Not only have I used it; I've deployed the enterprise preview through my institution so its available to 60 employees and no complaints. It also gives me an opportunity to provide feedback and I feel the Insider team is more open to acting on feedback than Google would be.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    The Chromium based Edge wouldn't be in an OEM image on an M81.
    What he said.

It's a Chrome clone; nothing like IE.

It hasn't even reached general distribution yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What he said.
    OK boys, I'm not that pleased with MS offerings TBH.

OK boys, I'm not that pleased with MS offerings TBH.
    Good to know you've got such an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Chrome's UI is crap, but it's not as crap as Edge's.
    Thats why I dont use chrome.. Its a horrible UI