Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a retro computer that covers a broad range of uses

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Games have always been coded funny directly to the hardware using all kinds of tricks that will cause problems on systems with too much disk space, too much RAM, or just too fast even with cache turned off. Even if the game works sometimes the installer will crash. And then you have the problem with having the correct sound card installed for that era game.

For me I just have a house full over every kind of PC I could ever want.
    ...which is why...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I rather like DOSBox.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

You miss out with emulation, but I can see why people do it. I use MAME since I don't have arcade cabinets but I would rather use the real thing since I know what it was like.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I do both, hardware for some things and Vm's for others.

Just depends on the use case.

But sometimes the noises an old pc makes while its running just seems right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    ?????
    Direct floppy controller access, 5.25" disks only, software-timed hardware loops (won't run on a 386--too fast).

Believe it or not, I've been asked to (and did) restore a backup set written with Fastback 1.0.
    ----
    Then you have the case of weird interface cards...

Dell C600
    850Mhz PIII, 512MB RAM, ATI Mobility Rage 128 w/8MB, 60gb IDE 2.5 HDD, ESS Maestro 3i, EXP Multimedia PCMCIA Gameport card. Floppy and DVD-ROM/CD-RW. Runs Win98, and with some extra drivers it allows the use of USB flash drives through the USB port.

Cheapest way to get hardware access for most of my old computer needs, plenty of RAM and HDD space (I could put a 120GB drive if I felt it necessary) for Win98 and Retrozilla and provides ports and a hardware floppy drive. You can still buy new replacement batteries and adapters.