Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web hosting required for vintage computer site

Default Web hosting required for vintage computer site

Hi,

I have a small website here:

http://vintagecomputers.site90.net/cpm/z100.htm

which is currently on 000webhost.com as a free web hosting site. Problem is I hit their limit of 100 unique visitors in a day which resulted in a suspension, and if this happens again (it will!) the site will be deleted.

So please can anyone here recommend a free web hosting company or even offer free hosting? I would prefer ftp access to update pages occasionally, not expecting a huge number of visitors or traffic.

Thanks,
    John

PS here are the limits on the 000webhost :

The full free plan limitations are

Disk Usage: 300MB
    Bandwidth Monthly: 3000MB
    INODES: 10,000
    Database MYSQL Table Limit: 100
    Daily Unique IP Visitors: 100
    Daily Request Hits: 10,000

The system automatically suspends users who exceed free plan limitations and allows users to appeal once and lets us remove the suspension on one occasion.

2. Default

Hello,

If your content is all static then you can host for free on GitHub. It works really well and is what I use for my TechTinkering website. It makes the site easy to update as all you have to do is push your repo updates to GitHub. Here is the TechTinkering GitHub repo.

Best wishes

Lorry

Hi John,

My suggestion is to buy a Raspberry Pi and host it yourself at home. I've written some articles on how to do this etc.

Currently my sites of amaus.net and amaus.org moved from hosting back to home once I got my fibre back (long story, but now
    have appalling slow fibre due to living back in UK, so it just about works)

Anyways, assuming your ISP doesn't do something like Carrier grade NAT your home IP would be unique and then you can sit
    the Raspberry Pi running Apache or nginx behind it.

This ways updates to the website are trivial because the Webserver can be on your home LAN, and you can run Samba on the Pi to emaulte a
    Windows share for ease of updating (assuming you push files from Windows) etc.

Just my thoughts.

marcus b.

Hi Marcus,
    I've written some articles on how to do this etc.
    Do you have a URL for these articles so I can access them?

Thanks.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by amouse View Post
    My suggestion is to buy a Raspberry Pi and host it yourself at home. I've written some articles on how to do this etc.
    I'd watch with having people do this if they aren't familiar with running Linux servers at all, there's a lot to go wrong that could leave your Raspberry Pi part of a botnet or mining bitcoin for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980s_john View Post
    So please can anyone here recommend a free web hosting company or even offer free hosting? I would prefer ftp access to update pages occasionally, not expecting a huge number of visitors or traffic.
    Well, the link you posted is currently down (perhaps putting it here has gotten you over 100 hits already?), so I can't see what the site is like. If it's small and you're not hosting a bunch of huge downloads or something, I can host it on users.glitchwrks.com. PM me details about it, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Well, the link you posted is currently down (perhaps putting it here has gotten you over 100 hits already?),..
    It's not down here.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I'm a fan of nearlyfreespeech.net - a low-cost, no-bullshit combined solution for hosting and domain registration, plus a pleasingly bare-bones glitz-free design for their management page.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amouse View Post
    Perhaps the UK is different, but in the US, many carriers severely limit upload speed to less than 1Mb/sec, regardless of the download speed. Response to anything other than text is going to be slow.

I offer free web hosting for computer and programming related sites. PM if interested.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Perhaps the UK is different, but in the US, many carriers severely limit upload speed to less than 1Mb/sec, regardless of the download speed. Response to anything other than text is going to be slow.
    The same is true in the UK, plus many ISPs used to frown on people running open servers on a domestic connection.