Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6502 vs 65C02

Default 6502 vs 65C02

So I was taking apart another Apple IIc I was restoring and to my surprise the unit came with a Zip 4000 4mhz upgrade cpu.. definitely going to keep that. Problem is the logic board needs a 65C02 cpu and I don't have any. I know there are 6502 variants like the C64 6510 cpu.

I want to get this unit back to stock; will a standard 6502 cpu work? I looked on ebay to get an idea and all I seem to find are R65C02P4 and R65C02P2. Will these work in the apple IIc? I have no idea the preceeding "R" or what P2 or P4 means either. Could use some input, thanks

Mick

I believe the R is for Rockwell. It would also have the Rockwell symbol on it. You'd need to check a Rockwell catalog to find what the other stuff means.
    Dwight

The IIc came with a 65c02 and most software of that era using ProDOS requires it. The ROM may not even run with a regular 6502.

Also, the ZIP chip will only work with 65c02 since it is 4MHz. The plain 6502 was only ever made up to 2MHz as far I know.

Blog Entries

Will a WDC W65C02S work?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Will a WDC W65C02S work?
    Yes, it should work fine.

Blog Entries

It seems that the only speed rating of the WDC chip selling is 14MHz, so there should be plenty of room for experimentation.

Well Chuck I guess I can try that out. Will these work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-W65C02...0AAOSwMmBVvFMZ

I suppose if it passes Diags thats good enough for me.

Blog Entries

10MHz should be okay and you'll have 4 spares.

The WDC *may* have a little problem.. there are some minor differences between the modern WDC part and older (e.g. Rockewell) 65c02, particularly pin 1. Here's a link to WDC's explanationary page: http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/w...placements.cfm

Or get an R65C02P2 (or P4 - I believe they are 2MHz and 4MHz respectively) from a reputable source, e.g. utsource.

WARNING! Do *not* buy WDC from that ebay source. They came up on 6502.org a while ago, they are selling fakes.
    WDC chips are in production. Buy from a real dealer, e.g. Mouser.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    WARNING! Do *not* buy WDC from that ebay source.
    Too late..I bought last night.
    anyway the seller has a 60 day return on the items. IF they dont work I will file a claim. It will be annoying but par for the course at this point.

I buy lots of components on ebay from foreign sellers.... why?
    1.) so much cheaper than American retail outlets (online) [ better quality? no I'm sure its inferior,, but this is a hobby of course and funds being what they are..]
    2.) there are no retail component selling chains anywhere near me I am aware of.. There is no Frys, Radioshack is gone (and wasnt much use in the end anyway) Online is my only choice.
    3.0 yes waiting 30-45 days for delivery from china is terrible, but for the price who cares.

It works out more then it impedes the hobby.