Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IBM JX Information Page

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Were there any third party hardware vendors for the JX?
    Not that there is any documentation of.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
    Did it have anything to do with IBM already having a large presence in Australia due to already having a manufacturing plant in Wangaratta? Suppose that leads to another question, was the JX ever produced in Australia?
    There is no evidence that anything was produced or assembled in Australia. Everything I have seen is Made in Japan.

Anthony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Beckett View Post
    Not that there is any documentation of.
    There was a Japanese modem sold through the IBM PS Club user group in a look similar to the JX. http://msibata.org/ibmpc/ibmjx2.html Run it through your favorite translator.

Blog Entries

What a wonderful resource, especially including the software, thank you so much! I've always wanted a PC JX (I'm a PCjr fan) but sadly IBM dumped their non-selling stock in Australia and New Zealand, and it was never offered in the USA. I have a lot of reading to do!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    but sadly IBM dumped their non-selling stock in Australia and New Zealand, and it was never offered in the USA. I have a lot of reading to do!
    My keeper was serial # lower than 500 and the expansion unit is something like #24. It has a 220V power supply, and no sockets/parts for Kanji or extra VRAM, and the original 360KB BIOS.
    So I'm not confident we got dumped with non-selling stock. But it is possible we only got it because they already had a deal with a company in Japan to make them.

I'm also not sure it would've been well received in the US to be honest. The existing fan base would've hated it.
    NZ was easy in that respect, as the JR was cancelled before IBM dealers even announced it for sale here.

Edit: oh and I need to do more reading too, lots of articles on that page that I didn't know existed!
    Last edited by SpidersWeb; January 23rd, 2020 at 06:20 AM.

You guys are making me REALLY REALLY want a JX now http://http://noppin.com/portal_ya_d...n%2Ff373725721

Blog Entries

I have uploaded my poor attempts at scanning the documents I have.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k4...KwcF7osbQYrvYA

To explain the letters, which are probably out of order too (sorry):

- He used the diskless JX to help run his shortwave radio gear
    - He moved to Mexico around 1989 and took the JX with him, and wanted to get parts an upgrades (not obtainable in US, and the product had been cancelled)
    - He moved back to NZ around 1990 and purchased a PS/2 Model 30 286, but wanted to upgrade the JX so the kids could use it

And this documentation is for my diskless JX, which had a serial number ~3400ish.
    Prices are assumed to be in NZD.

I also removed the owners name and letterheads from each page.

Edit: Notice the IBM 3.5" "80 track per side" diskette that magically only has a capacity of 360KB.
    Edit 2: And Color Paint was a $245 product!
    Last edited by SpidersWeb; January 23rd, 2020 at 10:56 PM.

Kinda interested in the question of compatibility. Does PCjr-specific software run out-of-the-box on the JX? How about the other way around (excluding software meant for the Japanese model, of course)?

The JX Sampler disk (on Anthony's site) looks rather like the PCjr Sampler disk, with a similar selection of demonstration programs... but it's prone to freezes when running on a PCjr, at least an emulated one.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    Kinda interested in the question of compatibility. Does PCjr-specific software run out-of-the-box on the JX? How about the other way around (excluding software meant for the Japanese model, of course)?

The JX Sampler disk (on Anthony's site) looks rather like the PCjr Sampler disk, with a similar selection of demonstration programs... but it's prone to freezes when running on a PCjr, at least an emulated one.
    i don't know about the sampler, but I run games like Leisure Suit Larry on mine in PC JR mode with no issue. Mine also came with JX Color Paint, which is just JR Color Paint with a different sticker on the cartridge - they didn't even update the text.

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    The JX is entirely compatible with the PCjr - you just have to have a 5.25" option. I can run any PCjr software on the JX. I would not be surprise if it is even hardware compatible if we can find the pinouts for the slots. I'd love to make an adapter board to get an IDE sidecar going on a JX.

Anthony