Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PS/2 Display 8514 "Streaking" Issue...

Default IBM PS/2 Display 8514 "Streaking" Issue...

So I'm in the process of restoring a handful of PS/2 displays and have had a great experience pulling the analog and video boards out of them... right up until I got into my 8514. Where the first three had their boards conveniently placed on a tray that pulled out, this one is an absolute mess inside and would likely take hours to disassemble. So, keeping that in mind and the fact that this is a consumer grade monitor, I'm probably just going to do the minimum work needed to get this one working again.

So to get to the point, I'm hoping one of you can tell me what is causing the particular issue this monitor is having, which is a "streaking" of the image to the right of the screen, and point out exactly what needs serviced in it so I don't have to bumble around in it for hours.

558rv2b73j941-min.jpg

As you can see, the picture tube still gives good picture with the exception of that annoying streaking effect, which I'm sure due to bad electrolytics, and not a bad tube. Anyone know what section of what board I should prod at?

Also just as a peace of mind thing, I want to run the other monitors by you just to double check the source of their problems and make sure I'm doing what needs to be done to them...

8515: This one scrolls downward endlessly. There's no V-Hold adjustment and the HMM for it says "Problem with Vertical Pre-Amp, replace Analog Card" so I'm just assuming a cap died on the analog board, hence why I'm re-capping the it.

9517#1: The picture on this one shakes across the middle of the screen after adjusting the H-Size to fill the screen and the Pin-Balance to "un-squeeze" the image (both these adjustments need to be cranked all the way to one side, by the way). Again, I assume it's just bad caps and a re-cap of the board is all that's needed.

9517#2: This one is pretty straightforward; The H-Shift adjustment pot was snapped off by some overzealous service tech or IT guy at some point so it needs replacing. I'll also be re-capping this one for good measure as well.

I'm also just replacing the electrolytic caps and none of the ceramic / solid caps since these typically "explode" when they decide they've lived long enough.
    Last edited by ButINeededThatName; January 18th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    As you can see, the picture tube still gives good picture with the exception of that annoying streaking effect, which I'm sure due to bad electrolytics, and not a bad tube. Anyone know what section of what board I should prod at?
    A 'Streaking' symptom is shown in the 8514 section of [here].

Someone helpfully posted a pic Here