Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple IIgs 8MB RAM problem

Default Apple IIgs 8MB RAM problem

I have a IIgs with a TransWarp GS and CFFA3000. When I install a GGLABS RAMGS/8 GS/OS locks up during boot. I don't have any problems with the card removed.

I've run the ROM diags in the IIgs and the TWGS diags with and without the RAMGS/8 installed and they all pass.

Is this a compatibility issue with 8MB cards in general, the RAMGS/8 specifically, or is there something else I should check?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I have a IIgs with a TransWarp GS and CFFA3000. When I install a GGLABS RAMGS/8 GS/OS locks up during boot. I don't have any problems with the card removed.

I've run the ROM diags in the IIgs and the TWGS diags with and without the RAMGS/8 installed and they all pass.

Is this a compatibility issue with 8MB cards in general, the RAMGS/8 specifically, or is there something else I should check?
    https://www.applefritter.com/content...8-rom3-machine

The card is buggy. It doesn't work at all in my ROM3 machine. It does *appear* to work in my ROM1 machine, although others have said it is unstable for them even in ROM1 boxen.

I switched to a ByteBoosters 8Mb card, and it works flawlessly in my ROM3 box.
    -- Lee

If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot.
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci PDS, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Old Serial Terminals (TRS-80 DT-1 in particular), TRS-80 Model 4

Thanks! I’ll get a different card.

I bought a ByteBoosters 8MB card and it's working great.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I bought a ByteBoosters 8MB card and it's working great.

Thanks again!
    Did you get a refund for the buggy GGLABS card? Their apple2 SCSI card appears to be buggy too. Shame for GGLABS "Designed and assembled in USA with all new components." advertisement in ebay, obviously the latter is not a key to error free and working products. Their publications full of colorful fancy screen captures from expensive state-of-the-art oscilloscopes/analyzers and technical explanations for the dazzled impressed breathless public But with the 8M //GS RAM card the well known superior German quality wins.
    Last edited by george; January 28th, 2020 at 01:42 PM.

Do we really need to introduce ethnocentrism into the classic computing hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Did you get a refund for the buggy GGLABS card? Their apple2 SCSI card appears to be buggy too. Shame for GGLABS "Designed and assembled in USA with all new components." advertisement in ebay, obviously the latter is not a key to error free and working products. Their publications full of colorful fancy screen captures from expensive state-of-the-art oscilloscopes/analyzers and technical explanations for the dazzled impressed breathless public But with the 8M //GS RAM card the well known superior German quality wins.
    Oh is their SCSI card buggy too? D: How so?

I read that it was a copy of the Apple card, so I bought the kit with the board, ROM, and PALs. But I haven't assembled it yet.

It does appear to be different in the way that it supplies SCSI termination power, but I figured that was to get around needing NLA components other than the scsi controller chip itself.
    -- Lee

If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot.
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci PDS, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Old Serial Terminals (TRS-80 DT-1 in particular), TRS-80 Model 4

I have the GGlabs 4MB card that takes a single 30 pin SIMM and, knock on wood, I haven't seen any problems with it. But a 4MB 30 pin SIMM is *almost* directly electrically compatible with the GS's RAM slot so there's significantly less to need to get right than there is with an 8MB card. (The IIgs was really designed to support only 4MB, 8MB cards require some logic tricksiness to synthesize a D22 address line. Presumably that's what GGlabs isn't getting quite right.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Does anyone here have any experience with one of these GW4201B 4MB cards for $35.00?

Apple IIgs 4 MB RAM Expansion Low-Power - New 2019 Production "GW4201B"
    www.ebay.com/itm/254230319800

vintagegeek.wordpress.com/category/ram/garretts-workshop/