Image Map Image Map

Thread: Running a 5160 on a Pico ATX Power supply w/ ATX->P8/P9 XT/AT

Default Running a 5160 on a Pico ATX Power supply w/ ATX->P8/P9 XT/AT

I'm currently running my 5160 on an 800W ATX Power supply which is overkill (to say the least).

I have an ATX->XT/AT P8/P9 style converter and this setup has worked well so far. The only issue is that the power supply sits outside of the system unit looking pretty horrible.

I've seen these "Pico ATX" power supplies that appear to convert 12V DC to ATX power and I'm wondering if this would work or of there are hidden gotchas I should be aware of.

It seems like given that the original XT power supply was 65W and these Pico ATX supplies are 80-150W (and given the HDD and FDD are currently broken and I'm using an XT-IDE/CF solution) that the power output should be fine.

Any thoughts?

Example:

https://amazon.com/Mini-Box-picoPSU-.../dp/B005TWE5E6

A PicoATX supply is fine (even with HDDD and FDD). But note that -5V is most likely missing (even with your existing ATX supply). So if you have any cards that need -5V, you will have to use a 7905 to create that from the -12V rail.

Blog Entries

I've got some old HP Vectra power supplies (ATX) that are probably small enough to fit your case. I think they're about 250W. PM me some dimensions and I'll check. (When reusing the cases, I upgraded to a 450W TFX supply--not an exact fit, but it can be made to work).

Thanks for the info guys

The converter I have actually does create a -5V line. The case actually has an original XT power supply and I believe it works (haven't fully tested it) but it runs really ragged and I'm hesitant to use it without some additional tune up.

Thanks for the offer on other power supplies Chuck but I'm looking for something that specifically lets me keep the original supply in the case (for aesthetics)