Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games that will run under DOS with 2mb RAM

Default Games that will run under DOS with 2mb RAM

Giving up hope finding a RAM upgrade for my Compaq Portable 386. Guess I'm stuck with 2mb RAM!

Looking for game ideas for this lil guy.

Tried Xargon, Wolf3d, Commander Keen... none will run with the paltry 2mb RAM.

Any good suggestions?

Blog Entries

There was a time when 2MB of memory wasn't considered to be "paltry".

Consider a 1960s supercomputer, the CDC 6600. 128KiW maximum memory--that translates to (60 bit words), which translates to 982KB. The much faster 7600 had only half that.

Blog Entries

Something is wrong with your setup. Commander Keen 5 lists required RAM as 565K so a 2MB system should have no problem with any of the earlier DOS CK releases. What is the amount of free RAM?

I'd wager your problem is a lack of conventional memory. Adding more RAM won't fix that

Bear with me, it's been a while since I've had to do this. How do I allocate the memory properly?

20200120_145135.jpg

Blog Entries

MEM /C would list what is loaded in memory. I think you have plenty of free memory based on what is listed. You might be hitting the opposite problem; some programs had difficulty if DOS used less than 64 kB i.e. free memory in excess of 580k. A simple test of REMming out DOS=HIGH would drop free memory below that threshold but still leave enough for Commander Keen. Otherwise, there might be some driver issue I don't recognize.

Post your autoexec.bat and config.sys files.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I don't see how 637792 bytes is not enough. I was able to run WOLF3D on a 386 with way less than that. Gotta' be something else.

It does require VGA, though. The Compaq doesn't have VGA, does it?

FWIW, Keen also requires EGA or, in some versions, VGA.
    Last edited by Stone; January 20th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

This is CGA only, yes, but there are pics everywhere of games like Keen running on these... so I'm more confused now.

Commander Keen.jpg