Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games that will run under DOS with 2mb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Bear with me, it's been a while since I've had to do this. How do I allocate the memory properly?

Attachment 58671
    Yeah that's plenty, and your config files look good too.

Must be something else stopping you from running the games, non memory related.

Blog Entries

Or memory related. Any programs that were EXEPACKed would fail if there is too much memory free. DOS 5 has LOADFIX to solve the problem; all LOADFIX does is consume enough memory so EXEPACKed programs can successfully unpack and run.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Or memory related. Any programs that were EXEPACKed would fail if there is too much memory free. DOS 5 has LOADFIX to solve the problem; all LOADFIX does is consume enough memory so EXEPACKed programs can successfully unpack and run.
    Keen is not one of those though. There were two versions of Keen4 - keen4e and keen4c. Different binary for the CGA version.

This is CGA only, yes, but there are pics everywhere of games like Keen running on these... so I'm more confused now.
    These are taken directly from the docs:

* COMMANDER KEEN: VOLUME ONE -- "INVASION OF THE VORTICONS" ... You will also need an EGA or VGA system. CGA is not supported, sorry.

* Keen3 The explosive and shocking sequel to Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons!
    The sequel will feature full-screen scrolling 256-color VGA graphics!

* QUICK HELP for KEEN DREAMS.....
    EGA graphics required (supported on EGA, VGA, & SVGA cards)
    (a CGA version of KEEN DREAMS is available by calling 1-800-831-2694)

So, the question is... do you have KEEN DREAMS and do you have the special CGA version?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48215

Download a CGA version and problem solved.

6. Default

Nebulus
    Grand prix formula 1
    Price of Persia 1

Blog Entries

Tried Xargon, Wolf3d, Commander Keen... none will run with the paltry 2mb RAM.
    This is CGA only
    Zargon and Wolf3d require VGA. Commander Keen had a CGA version, that's what you need to run.

2MB and a 386 is plenty to play some great games. There are at least 1500 you can choose from.

If you list a favorite genre or two, I'd be happy to recommend best-in-class games in those genres for your specific platform.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)