Image Map Image Map
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    So back to the subject of DOS... I've always been a PC-DOS guy, but lately I've been DR-curious. How does Doctor, I mean, Digital Research DOS compare?
    I have a packaged version of DR DOS 5.0 with manuals and all. I haven't loaded it in a good while, but one of the features that I liked was the option to select system drivers in the CONFIG while booting. I believe DR DOS was the first with that feature.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    ls -R

ls -lR (or du -s, to taste)

I'm not trying to win you over, but I'm definitely trying to get you to stop making false, baseless, demonstratively incorrect claims. It very much undermines your position and authority. People may be able to win political or philosophical debates by posturing alone, but you can't posture your way out of factual inaccuracies.

I use DOS every month, on a real 1983 IBM PC/XT. I also use Windows every month. And Linux. And until 3 years ago, I used Solaris every week for decades. And 20 years ago I used HP-UX, NCR unix, Tru64, Irix, and others. And 30 years ago, I used Coherent on 286s and 386s. I'm not a Linux fanboi; I use the correct tool for the job at hand. I have many tools for many different jobs.
    Example: ls -lR *.c - does NOT do what I want (at least not in bash on my Raspberry Pi) - dir /s *.c does do what I want in DOS 5+ and Windows. How much more clear do I have to be ? People keep going on and on about this and denying the facts makes you rampant Linux fanboys basically upset that DOS COMMAND.COM can do a few things that Linux doesn't. Why the heck can't you let this go ?

P.S. Linux doesn't even have -? while DOS commands got /? in DOS 5 (and yes I know about --help but -? is shorter). Guess what guys ? Linux ain't perfect, no OS is but Linux general usability is crap at least for me though I'm not alone in that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have a packaged version of DR DOS 5.0 with manuals and all. I haven't loaded it in a good while, but one of the features that I liked was the option to select system drivers in the CONFIG while booting. I believe DR DOS was the first with that feature.
    I haven't used DR DOS much but we had a DOS API tester at IBM and DR DOS 6.0 passed every function test and the internal tables were largely the same. Consider that DR DOS worried Microsoft enough to write the AARD code in Windows 3.1 beta.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    We're not trying to win you over, we're trying to get you to stop making false claims just because you don't like Unix.

It's ok not to like Unix or Linux, but please stop claiming that DOS can do things Unix can't. It's not actually true and just makes you look like a DOS fanboy. It hurts your credibility and to be frank, I think it has seriously weakened your arguments in favor of a DOS forum.
    I concur.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I concur.
    See post #112 then take a step back and think about your response. In the case of ls vs. dir I gave a definitive example of where the file recursion simply does not work the same and is better in DOS 5+ and Windows. Also dir shows file totals and byte totals whereas ls does not. There are other examples as well but I'm certainly not going to list them considering how triggered you fanboys are. The fact that you guys are so very up in arms that I pointed out a case where DOS/Windows is better than Linux is fanboyism plain and simple. Also consider that you just won't shut up about it. Seriously are you that upset that Linux doesn't dominate the desktop that you have to go after anyone who points out any fault in your precious little Linux whatsoever ? HOLY CRAP !!

Blog Entries

I still concur. You are obviously a *nix hater. In my use case Windows 10, Dos and *nix all have their uses. You are coming across like, dear I say it. a complete twat. Worse than an Amiga fanboy and that is saying a LOT.

I used DR Dos 6.0 on my old generic 286/16 and it ran fine with all the software I threw at it.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; February 5th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

All this talk about a new DOS forum, well, if it's going to cover DOS emulators then I'm all ready set to go with this nifty punched card tray!!!
    Er, hang on, just which DOS are we talking about now...?
    IBM_DOS_EMULATOR_punched_card_tray.jpg

(from one of my ex-IBM punched card cabinets from the late 60s )

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I still concur. You are obviously a *nix hater. In my use case Windows 10, Dos and *nix all have their uses. You are comming across like dear I say it a twat.
    And you're obviously a Linux fanboy and a dumbass. One of the reasons I dislike Linux so much is due to the extreme fanboyism. At least you're no longer attempting to argue that ls -lR *.c does what dir /s *.c does. It's not like I didn't go through every single ls option and ask a few people about it. Also du doesn't do what I want for the totals either and that's a separate command anyway whereas as dir is one command.

Can this please be case closed now ?

This is a great thread on how to not win friends and not influence people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    And you're obviously a Linux fanboy and a dumbass. One of the reasons I dislike Linux so much is due to the extreme fanboyism. At least you're no longer attempting to argue that ls -lR *.c does what dir /s *.c does. It's not like I didn't go through every single ls option and ask a few people about it. Also du doesn't do what I want for the totals either and that's a separate command anyway whereas as dir is one command.

Can this please be case closed now ?
    Lol. You are funny. I've use win10 more than linux lately. So before masking assumptions do do some homework will you? Btw I added "complete" to my previous post.