Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    How well does CP/M handle subdirectories ? Why ask such a question when you already know the OS is too old to support that feature ?
    CP/M-86 did get the ability to handle subdirectories. https://www.seasip.info/Cpm/dosplus_fat.htm shows the programming technique. The versions that documented the directory interface included DOS in the name but I think the last Concurrent release before DOS was added to the name support making and changing directories despite the omission from the manual.

I've run into multiple things which I can do in DOS/Windows that I can't do in Linux and also things in Linux that annoy me but I'm not going to entertain a bunch of Linux fanboys by spending time making a detailed list. Continuing to try and hawk it only serves to make someone like it even less.

An example of Linux fanboyism: Several years ago I worked at a game company which had a major Linux fanboy who was the main cross-platform library developer. At the time the platforms which mattered were PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC. He added Linux support simply because he loved it and wouldn't support Xbox 360 and PC simply because he hated Microsoft which was ridiculous. He tried to get everyone to support Linux even though no games were shipped for that platform. He tried that crap with me over filename case-sensitivity so I went to the studio head and he got overruled since he didn't have a reasonable argument in supporting a non-shipping platform. I have friends who have similar stories regarding Linux fanboys. What the heck ?!? Why does Linux garner this level of fanaticism ? If it was so great then it would be the dominant desktop OS and it's not even though it's free and Windows is a bloated mess which gets worse with each successive release.

Lighten up, Francis

Blog Entries

I suspect that BillG can be numbered among the "*nix fanboys". After all, the DOS 2.0 enhancements were specifically patterned after Xenix/Unix, non?

Microsoft is coming around also. Apple long since has used *nix as its basis for OS X and iOS Darwin might as well be *nix.

I liked SCOPE, but haven't been able to find a native version for x86 or ARM.

I've run into multiple things which I can do in DOS/Windows that I can't do in Linux and also things in Linux that annoy me but I'm not going to entertain a bunch of Linux fanboys by spending time making a detailed list.
    Thankfully someone else already has:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why....p.current.html

Blog Entries

I've run into multiple things which I can do in DOS/Windows that I can't do in Linux
    You might want to limit your argument to Windows, since there are plenty of shells to choose from with fancy features and scripting -- but saying DOS (which implies 16-bit era COMMAND.COM) can do things a unix shell can't is demonstrably false. It's that specific 16-bit COMMAND.COM argument that is sticking in my craw, and unless you can come up with an example, you should probably stop claiming that.

And I say this as a huge fan of your PC-DOS 7 site and materials, btw.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

I've run into multiple things which I can do in DOS/Windows that I can't do in Linux and also things in Linux that annoy me but I'm not going to entertain a bunch of Linux fanboys by spending time making a detailed list. .
    Let us see this list and evaluate it.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    This thread has drifted quite a bit from it's original topic ...

Time for a new thread maybe? Or just perhaps, agree to disagree?
    I know Mike. And generally I'd agree. but he cat is out of the bag so to speak. It's obvious the OP is a rabid *nix hater so fair game.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Let us see this list and evaluate it.
    Did you miss it?

It's just two posts back on this same page.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...071#post606071
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

The majority of the responses were purposefully obtuse as people pretended to not know what I was referring to by DOS. Why do people do crappy stuff like that ?
    Not reading thru 10 pages of this, but I wanted to reply and quote this line. The most disturbing trend I've noticed, as a VC Forums user, is that it's becoming the older, established users with actual knowledge who have to pull stuff like that. I agree, it's highly discouraging.