Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Personally I take my hat of to some who keep older platforms running. Sometimes there is a use case of some old industrial gear still using such systems for control purposes. Keeping the knowledge alive is a good thing.
    I recall reading that the NYC Metrocard system used OS/2 and I know some ATMs used it. I suppose there are other corporate customers who ascribed to the "no one got shot for choosing IBM" mantra used OS/2 as well. Still there can't be a big market for ArcaOS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    I recall reading that the NYC Metrocard system used OS/2 and I know some ATMs used it. I suppose there are other corporate customers who ascribed to the "no one got shot for choosing IBM" mantra used OS/2 as well. Still there can't be a big market for ArcaOS.
    I believe the quote was "No body got fired for choosing IBM" There must be enough use cases out there for AcraOS even if it's just used via a VM. I don't understand your aversion to Linux btw. It seems to the only OS that will run on just about any 32-bit up hardware you throw at it.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 22nd, 2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I believe the quote was "No body got fired for choosing IBM" There must be enough use cases out there for AcraOS even if it's just used via a VM. I don't understand your aversion to Linux btw. It seems to the only OS that will run on just about any 32-bit up hardware you throw at it.
    I used PCs more than anything so of course I used DOS, OS/2 and Windows. I don't like the Linux command shells at all; there too many things which are doable in the DOS/Windows shells that are a pain or undoable in Unix/Linux shells, plus I'm much more used the DOS/Windows paradigm. Also there are too many Linux distributions and a lot of it is archaic, dating back to the era of VT100 terminals which is before my time (I started in the 1980s). Now I'm certainly not saying Windows is perfect; far from it. In fact I think each release of Windows is more bloated and full of unnecessary stuff than the previous one and I won't even touch Windows 10. For me CMD.EXE is vastly superior, perhaps someone with a largely Unix/Linux background feels differently. I honestly don't have a problem if someone likes Linux better, to each their own. What I don't understand is the Amiga fanboys who go on and on endlessly about how PCs killed their platform and attack anyone doesn't agree with them. Obviously PCs were doing a lot right or we wouldn't still be using them. After 30+ years you would think they would let it go.

Blog Entries

Some commercial entity is actually updating the OS for a long dead system ? Really ?!? The audience couldn't be more than a few hundred users.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Interesting though IBM actually considered the 68000 for the IBM PC. The 68000 cost too much so they went with the cheapest 16-bit option which was the 8088. Who knows what the OS would have been in that case but it's safe to assume that Motorola would be dominant instead of Intel.
    Oh ye gods, if only!!! The Microsoft/Intel stranglehold on the consumer market has been the biggest con job in history. Me for eCS/2 (140, for Home & Student v2.1) full downwards compatibility for DOS/Windows 3.xx programs, works on anything up to and including an eServer xSeries 365, in my experience. I also have NetFinitys and a Multiprise 3000, which I'll tentatively attempt upgrades on.

Just make it a DR DOS or DOS Plus query and post it to the CP/M Section

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Oh ye gods, if only!!! The Microsoft/Intel stranglehold on the consumer market has been the biggest con job in history. Me for eCS/2 (140€, for Home & Student v2.1) full downwards compatibility for DOS/Windows 3.xx programs, works on anything up to and including an eServer xSeries 365, in my experience. I also have NetFinitys and a Multiprise 3000, which I'll tentatively attempt upgrades on.
    the prospect of an alternate reality where the IBM PC ecosystem was founded on the 68k excites me, physically

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    the prospect of an alternate reality where the IBM PC ecosystem was founded on the 68k excites me, physically
    If IBM was going to produce a $10,000 system in 1981, it would have an IBM designed CPU.

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

In 1982 IBM released a ~6000$ computer based on the 68000:

https://web.archive.org/web/20091124...asp?st=1&c=623

Quote Originally Posted by cp/m user View Post
    just make it a dr dos or dos plus query and post it to the cp/m section :d