Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

Default Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

There is a CP/M forum under Genres, why isn't there a DOS forum somewhere as well ? DOS is certainly a vintage OS and arguably more significant than CP/M.

Blog Entries

Especially DOS/360. (I wonder how many operating systems called themselves DOS-something-or-the-other)

When the medium of choice becomes solid-state (as in the system I'm typing this on), can we drop the "D"?

Blog Entries

Wikipedia lists a mere 10 operating systems with DOS in the name for the "Disk Operating System" topic. That excludes Data General's RDOS, half a dozen CP/M variations with the letters DOS in the name, and I think MS-DOS inspired DOSes came close to a dozen. It's enough to make one go for the alcohol with DOS in its name.

Blog Entries

IBM's use of "DOS" marked a sea-change in thinking at IBM, I think. Before this, IBM systems, if capable, usually had something called "Monitor" (e.g. Monitor II-D, FMS, etc.). Univac claimed "Executive" for their 36-bit line (e.g. EXEC, EXEC-8).

But IBM had DOS, TOS, OS and similar variants. Something akin to IBM not calling the box a "computer" until the PC. The IBM custom was "Data Processing System" (I suspect that "IBM Personal Data Processing System 5150' probably would not fit on a small postage stamp-sized badge).

Specifically why isn't there a PC DOS/MS-DOS forum ?

Discussion about the predecessor of z/VSE would be in the mainframes forum. There are three PC related forums based on CPU generation but of course they all ran DOS.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think you'd better qualify the title on the other thread--there's Amiga DOS....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Yeah, I think you'd better qualify the title on the other thread--there's Amiga DOS....
    Seriously, everyone knows that when someone say "DOS" they are very likely referring to PC DOS/MS-DOS as that was by far the most significant OS to have "DOS" in its name. Also it should be obvious that's what someone whose username is "pcdosretro" is referring to.

PC/MS-DOS generally implies an IBM PC or clone, for which there is a forum. There are a few exceptions of non hardware clones that run an adaption of DOS, but when dealing with DOS those are usually understood to fall under that category.

"CP/M" does not really imply any specific hardware platform, but rather a large variaty of machines that ran that OS.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    PC/MS-DOS generally implies an IBM PC or clone, for which there is a forum. There are a few exceptions of non hardware clones that run an adaption of DOS, but when dealing with DOS those are usually understood to fall under that category.
    There are three PC related forums based on CPU generation (8086/286, 386/486, Pentium) but of course they all ran DOS.

So there are effectively three DOS forums.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step