Image Map Image Map
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Try running dir /s "*xyz*" on MS-DOS.

How well does MSDOS handle symbolic links?
    How well does CP/M handle subdirectories ? Why ask such a question when you already know the OS is too old to support that feature ?

You have to understand that the fundamental idea of Linux/Unix is that everything is a file that can be piped through another command...and so on. If you understand this and your chosen shell operations, you can do some great things.
    Again I do not like Linux/Unix. Stop trying to sell me on it. If you like it then that's fine, I don't and it will be a cold day on Venus before I ever use it as my primary OS on any PC I own.

"junction"? Do you mean "join"?
    no, in NTFS, junction. A symbolic link to a directory is called a junction in NTFS land.

mklink (built into cmd on win vista + up) or junction.exe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    Again I do not like Linux/Unix. Stop trying to sell me on it. If you like it then that's fine, I don't and it will be a cold day on Venus before I ever use it as my primary OS on any PC I own.
    Then maybe you shouldn't make claims like "there too many things which are doable in the DOS/Windows shells that are a pain or undoable in Unix/Linux shells"?

I can't think of a single thing possible in cmd.exe or powershell that isn't possible in a unix shell, so if you know of a concrete example, I'd be curious to hear it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    no, in NTFS, junction. A symbolic link to a directory is called a junction in NTFS land.

mklink (built into cmd on win vista + up) or junction.exe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_links
    Weren't we talking about MSDOS? That's not NT.

FWIW, I've always wondered if there was a way to prevent MSDOS from executing a command in the currently logged directory. I suspect there probably is, but haven't been curious enough to research it.

And also, for what it's worth, I've been using *nix on and off since before there was an MSDOS. I use whatever the job requires, so it pays to be fluent in all of them. Yesterday I had work that required MacOS 9.2...

After your first dozen or so operating systems, you get the general idea of how things work pretty quickly. There's a huge difference between an operating system and a shell/UI, also.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); February 5th, 2020 at 09:07 AM.

FWIW, I've always wondered if there was a way to prevent MSDOS from executing a command in the currently logged directory. I suspect there probably is, but haven't been curious enough to research it.
    Sure... type the command with it's PATH name, outside of the current directory.

But that's probably not what you were striving for.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Then maybe you shouldn't make claims like "there too many things which are doable in the DOS/Windows shells that are a pain or undoable in Unix/Linux shells"?
    Does he want to have just one argument, or was he thinking of taking a course?

Blog Entries

No--I wanted to avoid the situation where there's an executable file called, say, "MYPROG.EXE" in both the search path and the locally logged-on directory. You enter the command "MYPROG" and you get the local copy by default. *nix omits the local directory from command searches by default.

So does calling it with its PATH name.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

This thread has drifted quite a bit from it's original topic ...

Time for a new thread maybe? Or just perhaps, agree to disagree?

No--I wanted to avoid the situation where there's an executable file called, say, "MYPROG.EXE" in both the search path and the locally logged-on directory. You enter the command "MYPROG" and you get the local copy by default. *nix omits the local directory from command searches by default.
    I don't have a ton of nix experience, but I find this annoying to have to type ./myprog for example. I get the idea of why they did it this way, but I'm just too wed to my MS-DOS ways to be content with it.