Image Map Image Map
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 121

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

  1. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Try running dir /s "*xyz*" on MS-DOS.

    How well does MSDOS handle symbolic links?
    How well does CP/M handle subdirectories ? Why ask such a question when you already know the OS is too old to support that feature ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You have to understand that the fundamental idea of Linux/Unix is that everything is a file that can be piped through another command...and so on. If you understand this and your chosen shell operations, you can do some great things.
    Again I do not like Linux/Unix. Stop trying to sell me on it. If you like it then that's fine, I don't and it will be a cold day on Venus before I ever use it as my primary OS on any PC I own.

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    "junction"? Do you mean "join"?
    no, in NTFS, junction. A symbolic link to a directory is called a junction in NTFS land.

    mklink (built into cmd on win vista + up) or junction.exe

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_links

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    6,345
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    Again I do not like Linux/Unix. Stop trying to sell me on it. If you like it then that's fine, I don't and it will be a cold day on Venus before I ever use it as my primary OS on any PC I own.
    Then maybe you shouldn't make claims like "there too many things which are doable in the DOS/Windows shells that are a pain or undoable in Unix/Linux shells"?

    I can't think of a single thing possible in cmd.exe or powershell that isn't possible in a unix shell, so if you know of a concrete example, I'd be curious to hear it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,661
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    no, in NTFS, junction. A symbolic link to a directory is called a junction in NTFS land.

    mklink (built into cmd on win vista + up) or junction.exe

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_links
    Weren't we talking about MSDOS? That's not NT.

    FWIW, I've always wondered if there was a way to prevent MSDOS from executing a command in the currently logged directory. I suspect there probably is, but haven't been curious enough to research it.

    And also, for what it's worth, I've been using *nix on and off since before there was an MSDOS. I use whatever the job requires, so it pays to be fluent in all of them. Yesterday I had work that required MacOS 9.2...

    After your first dozen or so operating systems, you get the general idea of how things work pretty quickly. There's a huge difference between an operating system and a shell/UI, also.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); February 5th, 2020 at 09:07 AM.

  5. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    FWIW, I've always wondered if there was a way to prevent MSDOS from executing a command in the currently logged directory. I suspect there probably is, but haven't been curious enough to research it.
    Sure... type the command with it's PATH name, outside of the current directory.

    But that's probably not what you were striving for.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Then maybe you shouldn't make claims like "there too many things which are doable in the DOS/Windows shells that are a pain or undoable in Unix/Linux shells"?
    Does he want to have just one argument, or was he thinking of taking a course?

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,661
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    No--I wanted to avoid the situation where there's an executable file called, say, "MYPROG.EXE" in both the search path and the locally logged-on directory. You enter the command "MYPROG" and you get the local copy by default. *nix omits the local directory from command searches by default.

  8. #88

    Default

    So does calling it with its PATH name.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

  9. #89

    Default

    This thread has drifted quite a bit from it's original topic ...

    Time for a new thread maybe? Or just perhaps, agree to disagree?

  10. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    No--I wanted to avoid the situation where there's an executable file called, say, "MYPROG.EXE" in both the search path and the locally logged-on directory. You enter the command "MYPROG" and you get the local copy by default. *nix omits the local directory from command searches by default.
    I don't have a ton of nix experience, but I find this annoying to have to type ./myprog for example. I get the idea of why they did it this way, but I'm just too wed to my MS-DOS ways to be content with it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •