Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
    https://www.vogons.org/viewforum.php?f=7

The question then becomes ?
    The question becomes will most of the responses be nitwit responses ? Yes I'm saying your response was a nitwit response.

It was a fair question yet other than one response in support and one suggestion to use the existing vintage software forum the rest of the responses were definitely not helpful. So there's no interest, could've just said that.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    The question becomes will most of the responses be nitwit responses ? Yes I'm saying your response was a nitwit response.

It was a fair question yet other than one response in support and one suggestion to use the existing vintage software forum the rest of the responses were definitely not helpful. So there's no interest, could've just said that.
    This particular “forum” has always been hardware centric with too many forums and software thrown in.

Vogons has always been software and emulation centric with hardware benchmarking and “builds” thrown in.

Most members here are also members there, use the right tool for the job.

The only reason I might argue for a dos forum here
    is because the warez raven is a member there and a certain level of prudishness is present there that doesn’t exist here.

I guess if we believe this forum has a better vibe and is a more properly governed medium than the alternative it would be worth having a dos forum.
    Remember though this forum isn’t a democracy, the peanut gallery doesn’t need convincing to get another category added.

You should feel free to post about anything you want here even if the categorization doesn’t meet the dewy decimal system requirements.

Originally the predecessor to this forum only had one category if there is any consolation in that.

This particular “forum” has always been hardware centric with too many forums and software thrown in.

Vogons has always been software and emulation centric with hardware benchmarking and “builds” thrown in.

Most members here are also members there, use the right tool for the job.

The only reason I might argue for a dos forum here
    is because the warez raven is a member there and a certain level of prudishness is present there that doesn’t exist here.

I guess if we believe this forum has a better vibe and is a more properly governed medium than the alternative it would be worth having a dos forum.
    Remember though this forum isn’t a democracy, the peanut gallery doesn’t need convincing to get another category added.

You should feel free to post about anything you want here even if the categorization doesn’t meet the dewy decimal system requirements.

Originally the predecessor to this forum only had one category if there is any consolation in that.
    Again it was a fair and reasonable question considering there is already a CP/M and MP/M forum here. The majority of the responses were purposefully obtuse as people pretended to not know what I was referring to by DOS. Why do people do crappy stuff like that ? Add in your "go somewhere else" response you can see where it all came across as quite dismissive. As for it being a hardware-centric forum, there are certainly many software discussions here and remember that the hardware is completely useless without software. If you don't want to discuss software that's fine, no one is making you but then why don't you just ignore discussions that don't interest you ?

Again it was a fair and reasonable question considering there is already a CP/M and MP/M forum here. The majority of the responses were purposefully obtuse as people pretended to not know what I was referring to by DOS. Why do people do crappy stuff like that ? Add in your "go somewhere else" response you can see where it all came across as quite dismissive. As for it being a hardware-centric forum, there are certainly many software discussions here and remember that the hardware is completely useless without software. If you don't want to discuss software that's fine, no one is making you but then why don't you just ignore discussions that don't interest you ?
    Sorry if I seem dismissive, it isn’t my intent.

This forum is actually much more open to software discussion than the “other” forum despite being hardware centered.

If you want to discuss playing King’s Quest on your Tandy 1000 by all means, we enjoy that type of discussion,
    It’s just that the assumption is you can discuss it here in one of the many existing forum sub categories.

Those aren’t my rules, the benevolent forum owner would be the only one to convince.
    I have no skin in it either way.

But I can understand if you prefer the vibe of this forum over the other one.
    Even though many of the members belong to both the other forum is much less laid back, more unwritten rules and minimal flexibility.
    Here things stay the same perhaps curmudgeonly, but a small amount of mis categorization doesn’t result in an iron fist of fury

The fact that perfect categorization isn’t enforced is why this forum is a much more pleasant place,
    At the end of the day this forum is just a communication tool , don’t overthink it. Folks that like your content will find it.

If the forum owner likes your idea they will say so.

Take Care
    Last edited by rmay635703; January 21st, 2020 at 09:15 AM.

At the end of the day this forum is just a communication tool , don’t overthink it. Folks that like your content will find it.
    Perhaps people here don't 'hang out' in a particular forum and identify with it religiously the way they might on other sites so the actual heading isn't as important as the thread topic. Perhaps there is a cultural difference. When I log on I just go to New Posts and jump into discussions in various places - I rarely pay attention to what section they are in.

So as people have suggested you could start a conversation about MS-DOS in any (hardware) section that could execute MS-DOS and people would jump in.

Maybe things would have unfolded differently if your opening argument wasn't that it is unfair that there is no specific DOS forum because CP/M has a specific one and DOS is a more significant OS - I'm not sure that line of thinking does you any favours on a site that tries to take a secular approach to vintage computing platforms without value judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    Maybe things would have unfolded differently if your opening argument wasn't that it is unfair that there is no specific DOS forum because CP/M has a specific one and DOS is a more significant OS - I'm not sure that line of thinking does you any favours on a site that tries to take a secular approach to vintage computing platforms without value judgements.
    Well put.

Attitude counts.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

I feel like the initial responses were unduly flippant. This guy has a lot to offer the forum regardless of whether or not it gets posted in some DOS-specific forum

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    Perhaps people here don't 'hang out' in a particular forum and identify with it religiously the way they might on other sites so the actual heading isn't as important as the thread topic. Perhaps there is a cultural difference. When I log on I just go to New Posts and jump into discussions in various places - I rarely pay attention to what section they are in.

So as people have suggested you could start a conversation about MS-DOS in any (hardware) section that could execute MS-DOS and people would jump in.

Stop lying and trying to twist things. I never said it was unfair that there is a CP/M forum and not a DOS forum and you know that. I simply asked why there isn't a DOS forum since there is a CP/M forum and that is a fair question. Also like it or not DOS was more significant than CP/M, largely because PCs were more significant than any systems before it considering we're still using an evolution of the original PC. I never said that CP/M was bad.

The Vintage Computer Software forum is under the Technical Support section, that is a undeniable fact so that's why I didn't post stuff there. Does it really make sense to ignore the headings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Well put.

Attitude counts.
    Okay you want attitude - I posted a harmless inquiry that was simply meant to possibly have a more appropriate forum to post stuff about DOS and it was met with a lot of stupid asinine responses that were completely uncalled for.

"There is a CP/M forum under Genres, why isn't there a DOS forum somewhere as well ? DOS is certainly a vintage OS and arguably more significant than CP/M."

Explain exactly what was so problematic about that question that people got so up in arms about ?

The Vintage Computer Software forum is under the Technical Support section, that is a undeniable fact so that's why I didn't post stuff there. Does it really make sense to ignore the headings ?
    I can't speak to whether or not it makes sense, but that's just the culture here. People post topics wherever. Oftentimes a for sale or WTB thread will transform into a full on discussion. Just how it is

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I can't speak to whether or not it makes sense, but that's just the culture here. People post topics wherever. Oftentimes a for sale or WTB thread will transform into a full on discussion. Just how it is
    I wouldn't have posted the question if I had known that people were going to get their proverbial panties in a bunch over it. I honestly meant no harm and really don't know why it wasn't taken in such a way.

Anyway thanks for your support.