Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking to re-home your IBM CRT monitors? Look no more!

Default Looking to re-home your IBM CRT monitors? Look no more!

Hey all! So my collection of PS/2 gear has grown substantially over the past year and I'm now finding myself in an awkward situation where I don't have enough CRTs to go around (not having enough CRTs is a normal problem to have in 2020, right?) so I am now on the hunt for any unwanted or neglected IBM CRTs that need a good home!

Now, when I say "IBM CRTs", I really just mean the ones from the early 90's with that good 'ol oval "IBM" badge and not any of the later displays that came with the Aptivas or ThinkCenters. I'm also trying to avoid picking up more of the "consumer grade" monitors like the 8512/13/14, though I may be tempted to take a couple of these if they're close by and known to work. That being said, I am willing to take any non-functioning displays (that I'll list out below) that have any problem that isn't caused by a bad or dying tube (AKA any problem that's in my power to fix). So, if you have an...

8515 / 9515
    8517 / 9517
    8518 / 9518
    9504 Monochrome Display
    6091 POWERDisplay

...that's sitting in a corner, neglected and gathering dust or about to be taken to the recyclers then feel free to offer them up! I'd really prefer to pick them up myself (so that kind of limits distance around three to four hours away), though if you have a working 17"+ 6091 or 85/9517 with it's original packaging (or you can pack it really well to ensure United Postal Smashers won't break the neck of the tube again...) I may be willing to pay to have it shipped my way!

I could better the 8515 with an 8514, but shipping across the pond would be a killer. Smearing evident but still functional.

I could better the 8515 with an 8514, but shipping across the pond would be a killer. Smearing evident, but still functional. My 9517 working went to the Czech Republic and I'm not sure about the non-functional 8515, plus a.n.other IBM display.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I could better the 8515 with an 8514, but shipping across the pond would be a killer. Smearing evident but still functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I could better the 8515 with an 8514, but shipping across the pond would be a killer. Smearing evident, but still functional. My 9517 working went to the Czech Republic and I'm not sure about the non-functional 8515, plus a.n.other IBM display.
    Yeah, international shipping is already expensive, so shipping rates for a CRT would probably be insane. Plus I doubt it would arrive in one piece unless it still has the original packaging.

By the way, aren't these displays region specific? (eg 8515-001 is for US / 120 volts, 8515-002 would be for Europe / 220 volts) If I recall, only later displays like the 9517 had auto-switching power supplies.

Yes, -002s are EMEA 220+ volts. Slipped my mind there, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    Yeah, international shipping is already expensive, so shipping rates for a CRT would probably be insane. Plus I doubt it would arrive in one piece unless it still has the original packaging.
    As it happens, I have the recent packaging from a NOS Smile 17" MultiSync monitor to hand.