Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Worst x86 CPUs over the years

... In any case, there's no way the C3 does any sort of dynamic, optimizing translation like the Transmeta did, unless there's benchmarks I don't know about it that show it. The Transmeta CPUs were sort of famous/infamous for running code at unpredictable speeds, at least until they'd filled up their secret RAM space with optimized translations.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Look up the thread a few postings. I believe I posted something to this effect.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'd always understood the C3 to be a VLIW core design. Is this not true?
    The C3 is internally RISC, its a modified winchip on higher clock speeds and different socket/wiring.
    But, every processor nowdays are doing x86 to risc translation inside, so in this aspect, they are similar to each other. But no one uses VLIW any more, except the russian Elbrus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Look up the thread a few postings. I believe I posted something to this effect.
    About the AIS? Have you actually found any compilers or public command references for it? I dug around and it seems like Via hasn’t done much more than publicly acknowledge it exists and that it’s what “God mode” is really tickling.

Blog Entries

ALTINST is implemented in NASM, but that's as far as it goes. Here's the link to the original Domas paper. Not terribly helpful if you're looking for specific instruction descriptions, however.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); January 24th, 2020 at 09:44 AM.

As an aside, this thread about the C3 just hit the magic point where it’s motivated me to dig out the fanless Eden ITX box from the junk shelf to play with. I thought of the thing as an utter waste of time with it slogging through Linux back in the day, time to try it under DOS. (Assuming it still works a decade later...)

(Edit: Interesting; it was acting dead as a doornail, just a black screen with no beeping, but after I randomly tried moving the little red jumper next to the CMOS battery to the alternate position and back again it's working fine. Maybe I should download the manual and see what that jumper actually does now...)
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; January 24th, 2020 at 09:38 AM.

7. Default

btw my c3 board is only accepting one specific 512 mbyte ecc ddr ram module. it refuses to boot with any other ram.

I hope my particular board supports the DOS soundblaster driver that’s apparently floating around for older EPIA platforms. If I can make that and mTCP work I may suddenly like it. Having a Tandy 1000 as my only other DOS machine should set my performance expectations sufficiently low.

9. Default

I dont think you could expect good results, Eudimorphodon. The WinChip (C3) was optimized for 32 bit and for office programs. For good DOS compatibility, you need some real ISA sound card and some PCI or first generation AGP card.

I'll vote for the Cyrix and VIA cpu's.

As an inverse of worst CPU's I'd put in a vote for most overlooked - the AMD K6-II+ and 3+ CPU's that weren't sold to the general public IIRC. Very nice CPU's for their time.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts