Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary Usage of VGA CRTs ...

Default Contemporary Usage of VGA CRTs ...

I've been doing some reading regarding the usage of these monitors and their current market value and availability.

While those of us here are probably more or less aware of the pros and cons of these monitors I found these two mainstream articles an interesting read:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...-than-a-4k-lcd

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...nitor-in-2019/
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

They forgot to mention that CRTs won't burn out your eyeballs like LCD screens. Yea, yea, folks have mentioned there are some out there that can be turned down quite a bit, but I have yet to find one. I have a problem with "vitreous floaters" - when using an LCD monitor they get in my way and sometimes make things hard to read. When I am using my good old CRT, they are hardly visible.

Also, WTF with all the newer LCD screens with ultra-reflective screens? Turn it off and it doubles as a mirror. I guess the ladies like that. Go back in time and pick up some Apple II monitor anti-glare panels?

"You'll also have to go in knowing the monitor may not last. As the phosphor inside a CRT ages, it will naturally lose its luminance, and that's assuming it doesn't suffer any other issues along the way."
    LCD monitors last forever? I don't think so.

"Repairing a CRT can be tedious and dangerous,"
    Compared to repairing an LCD monitor, which is mostly IMPOSSIBLE.

CRTs not as good for productivity applications? Suuure, every time I use a "modern" short screen monitor I start to get claustrophobic from the lack of vertical space.

Of course, the only way to experience DOOM the way it was intended is to use a CRT

I refuse to play games on an LCD. I only use CRTs or a 60" plasma if I need to go big

Only been saying this for the last fifteen years or so...!
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

It seems that the computer world is always trying to push upon us tech with serious design defects, and they just expect us to ignore them in favor of some sort of perceived benefit. LCD contrast is miserable. I don't know how many times I'm looking at a spreadsheet, etc. and I cannot see where they have put the cursor or highlight because the white and the grey selection look the same. (and no, this isn't just because I'm getting old, I noticed this 15 years ago too).

I feel the same way about web applications and VOIP. I figured that crappy usability would make them die, but people have been pushing web apps for over 20 years, and they still usually suck. And VOIP sounds like crap and usually has bandwidth problems that even the best QOS won't solve.

Don't misunderstand, there are cases for everything. I wouldn't go back to a 27 or even a 36 inch CRT TV at home in my living room for watching movies. I love having a 70" screen that can hang from the wall. But if I could get back my HP a4033a CRT (sony trinitron) for computer use, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries

My only knock on CRT's is that they take up too much real estate and are too heavy to tote around. Other than that, I okay with them.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    My only knock on CRT's is that they take up too much real estate and are too heavy to tote around. Other than that, I okay with them.
    ^^^ What he said. ^^^
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

According to one of the linked articles:

"In the early days scaled images on an LCD screen looked absolutely awful, but modern scaling solutions look great. So it’s not much of an issue anymore."

Can I get an LCD monitor, that will provide a sharp image with an 800x600 or 1024x768 signal, suitable for CAD work? Or should I stay with my CRT (and get one for work as well)?

There's really no such thing as a good solution for upscaling, just bad solutions and less bad solutions. I think what they mean is "nobody runs at non-native resolution anymore, so we've stopped noticing that it's still awful."
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Nearest neighbor upscaling to integer values looks just fine, but no hardware ever uses it despite being the least computationally expensive...