Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conrac(?) Terminal?

Blog Entries

Default Conrac(?) Terminal?

Picked this up. I love huge terminals with those tiny, weird aspect ratio screens.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233466375119

Only labeling I saw was Conrac. Not even sure if it is a terminal or something else entirely.

It will be interesting to see a teardown.
    There's too much inside for it NOT to be a terminal

I would say definitely a terminal...if I hadn't seen the three boards in slots on one side. So, almost definitely a terminal.

Now, here's the fun part. Assuming it is a terminal, it might *not* be RS-232.

Blog Entries

I can't get over that blower fan that is presumably cooling the power supply. What the....
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

I think there are two of those fans!

From.the 'custom' label I get the impression this is a special purpose built thing.. whatever it is. It does seem, with those cards considered, to have more than what it would need for a terminal. I wish there were better pics of the lower back to see what comes out.

I'm hoping the power cord was nudt cut for recycling and not because something bad might happen of you try to fire it up.. it looks like it could go nuclear quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I think there are two of those fans!

From.the 'custom' label I get the impression this is a special purpose built thing.. whatever it is. It does seem, with those cards considered, to have more than what it would need for a terminal. I wish there were better pics of the lower back to see what comes out.

I'm hoping the power cord was nudt cut for recycling and not because something bad might happen of you try to fire it up.. it looks like it could go nuclear quite easily.
    You can see a DB25 coming out of the back of the bottom board.
    This is full of SSI, and was built in 1974.
    It wasn't uncommon to see this much logic in a terminal.
    Take a look at the CDC, Beehive, and TEC terminal manuals from back then.
    It probably uses PMOS dynamic shift registers for the memory.

As Al said, the parts count is not unreasonable for a terminal built completely out of SSI logic, e.g. no microprocessor.

If you want to see how fancy such a terminal can get, take a look at the Beehive 100 manual. The terminal is implemented as a collection of registers, functional blocks, screen memory and a giant state machine that processes ESC codes by manipulating the registers and the functional blocks in order to perform operations on the screen. I think this is the most sophisticated CRT terminal I've seen implemented from discrete logic.

Another example of a terminal that uses SSI logic and no microprocessor for fairly fancy operations is the Tektronix 4010. Again, the terminal exists as registers and functional blocks designed to perform operations. Being a storage scope display, there's no screen memory, but again there is a simple state machine to process incoming ESC sequences to load values into the various registers and initiate the functional units that draw vectors or points on the screen.

Also, it would be good to get more information on this terminal for the Terminals Wiki. All we have there so far is the Conrac 480/25, which was their first microprocessor based terminal in 1975.

Blog Entries

Thanks!

I'm not sure if we can say 100% that it's a Conrac, can we? The sticker is on the CRT tube, and I understand Conrac often just made screens. When I get it here i'll check out every sticker I can find on it for any hint as to where it came from.

It feels likely to be a conrac, but unfortunately the ebay listing didn't have a photo of the rear where I suspect a model plate/sticker to be affixed to the unit next to the DB25 connection and a likely location for some dip switches to set baud rate, etc.