Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do cheaper USA-to-international shipping options exist other than the USPS?

Blog Entries

Default Do cheaper USA-to-international shipping options exist other than the USPS?

I am trying to ship one of my IBM 5153s (CGA CRT monitor) from the USA to a friend in Israel. I assumed USPS was the cheapest, so I looked up the price and was shocked to learn that the USPS, for a 36-pound 24"x18"x24" box, wants nearly $600 to ship to Israel!

Assuming for the moment that I can pack a 5153 properly to survive an international shipment, do any cheaper options exist? Speed is a lesser concern; tracking, price, and handling are.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Check out https://www.parcelmonkey.com/ . They show you can ship a package up to 66-pounds from the USA to Israel using EMS Parcel Post shipping service for $157.54. You drop it off at any FedEx Drop-Off location.

Good luck!

Heather

Blog Entries

Looks very promising, thanks for the tip!!

Edit: Unfortunately it's still quite pricey -- when the dimensions and weight are entered into the shipping calculator, it's $378-$397. However, that's still $200 cheaper, so I'll be looking into it.

Somewhat scary are the multiple terrible reviews for the .co.uk service. The .com (USA, me) reviews are mostly positive though.
    Last edited by Trixter; January 23rd, 2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

You do realize that dimensions make a considerable difference. 24", for any dimension seems to be the unlucky # for usps. Or is it 22"? Just saying, not that it would matter, it's still going to be expensive.

I once sent a domestic parcel via UPS. The carton I purchased, the dimension were displayed on the side. After packing, it may have sat underneath something else overnight, and bulged out some. So at the UPS counter the price was different then what I calculated. I told the guy the advertised dimensions are what we should go by, because in transit the carton can deform and bulge and measurs out differently while on the truck. He didn't want to argue apparently, and that time we did it my way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    You do realize that dimensions make a considerable difference. 24", for any dimension seems to be the unlucky # for usps. Or is it 22"? Just saying, not that it would matter, it's still going to be expensive.
    I agree that the dimensions are an issue. But, this is a CRT, it's fragile and needs as much protection as possible, so I'm afraid my hands might be tied.
    Offering a bounty for:

Having shipped some Amiga boards to Finland for repair, I sympathize with your plight. Not only is it frightfully expensive, compared with intra-border shipments, but maddeningly slow as well. Your goods have to pass through customs, often with an additional fee, and they sit there until someone feels like dealing with them. No rubber stamps here. It's just a guess but I suspect there may be some anti-American sentiment involved as well.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    It's just a guess but I suspect there may be some anti-American sentiment involved as well.

-CH-
    I'd say only in rare cases (damn the French!!! ), but maybe old Eastern Bloc countries occasionally.

Yes, both USPS and Canada Post are horribly expensive now, and heavy items a total no-no. I'll be trans-shipping an S-100 system from Canada to WI for $100, then trying to persuade a friend to drive 8 hours to London, Ontario to collect the HD (of 70lbs) from the seller when he visits his daughter there! And that's just within Continental North America!!! I'd recommend finding a surface shipping consolidator for shipping via sea, provided time is not of the essence for the buyer.

Just for a (hollow) laugh I tried parcelmonkey.com for the infamous 70lbs + packing of 5lbs (guessed):

https://www.parcelmonkey.com/quick-s...7-44cfbe172df1

$402.70 to $1,729.39 before any extras...

Blog Entries

I wasn't able to find any shipping consolidators that do not repack items, and a fragile CRT is definitely not something I want repacked.
    Offering a bounty for:

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I wasn't able to find any shipping consolidators that do not repack items, and a fragile CRT is definitely not something I want repacked.
    There's always something. My Multiprise 3000, including monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker and documentation was nicely crated up by the seller after arranging shipment. Mind you, that was a $6,000 purchase, so shipping costs were a relatively minor proportion of that.