Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do cheaper USA-to-international shipping options exist other than the USPS?

Sounds like you just need to go on vacation there and check it. If it weighs 36lbs, you aren't over weight. It looks like 24x24x18 would be 66inches and would be considered oversize, so you'd need to pay the extra fee there. If you could get it to 62 inches, you could pay no oversize or overweight fees, and you could spend the extra money on food while on vacation

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Sounds like you just need to go on vacation there and check it. If it weighs 36lbs, you aren't over weight. It looks like 24x24x18 would be 66inches and would be considered oversize, so you'd need to pay the extra fee there. If you could get it to 62 inches, you could pay no oversize or overweight fees, and you could spend the extra money on food while on vacation
    It might be realistic to hire a "mule" - I mean courier - to transport such items, might be cheaper in the end, although I really ought do another "Grand Tour" and visit all my computer friends in the North American continent (the Aussie and Japanese being a tad too expensive to contemplate just now).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Just for a (hollow) laugh I tried parcelmonkey.com for the infamous 70lbs + packing of 5lbs (guessed):

https://www.parcelmonkey.com/quick-s...7-44cfbe172df1

$402.70 to $1,729.39 before any extras...
    You would have been better off buying one of my Northstar Horizon (currently on ebay.co.uk) and I could have driven it to you as I'm about 20 miles away

[QUOTE=WBST;604215]I'd say only in rare cases (damn the French!!! ), but maybe old Eastern Bloc countries occasionally.

I'm not saying it's a matter of national policy - it only takes one disaffected employee along a long chain. And the US has been so good at making friends and influencing people lately.

-CH-

At least a package shipped to the UK has a 99.9% chance of making it to the other end unlike some other EU countries (name redacted but a lot of pasta is served there) were there's a better than 50-50 chance it would end up on the black market. Plus more likely arrive faster than shipping one to Canada from my experiences. Other than for the Chinese or Amazon shipping costs are awfully expensive and even more so for individuals. And then there's the problem with undisclosed shipping company added broker fees for duty collection tacked on for shipping via other than postal shipments. You used to be able to send air freight packages via some smaller freight airlines, don't know if that's still possible. It really could be cheaper to get discounted airline tickets and bring back a heavy item as luggage in some cases.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I wasn't able to find any shipping consolidators that do not repack items, and a fragile CRT is definitely not something I want repacked.
    I do recommend repacking the CRT in a separate box, not in the unit. You don't want the yoke attached either. Making a wood crate for the CRT is an option.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I do recommend repacking the CRT in a separate box, not in the unit. You don't want the yoke attached either. Making a wood crate for the CRT is an option.
    Dwight
    RetroTech on youtube has a great video on CRT packaging techniques refined to endure the savagery of modern shipping couriers

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    RetroTech on youtube has a great video on CRT packaging techniques refined to endure the savagery of modern shipping couriers
    At least he put the glass side down( The right thing to do. ). You still need to remove the yoke. Most have a hose clamp over an old aged piece of plastic. If it cracks, on the next bump, the yoke bounces up and then slams down onto the back of the tube. While it is a pain to reinstall the yoke, a busted neck or tube body it much worse. The yokes are really heavy!
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    At least he put the glass side down( The right thing to do. ). You still need to remove the yoke. Most have a hose clamp over an old aged piece of plastic. If it cracks, on the next bump, the yoke bounces up and then slams down onto the back of the tube. While it is a pain to reinstall the yoke, a busted neck or tube body it much worse. The yokes are really heavy!
    Dwight
    I agree with you in theory but expecting the recipient to reinstall the yoke and set purity etc. seems like asking way too much

Blog Entries

It is, unfortunately, as neither of us has experience in this area.

Found the Retro Tech shipping playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r9y2djIB-ZxrTC and will be checking them out.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)