Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do cheaper USA-to-international shipping options exist other than the USPS?

International shipping costs have gone up dramatically over the past 5 years. I got lucky having bout a PET 8096D and having it shipped from Germany to the USA three or four years ago for around $125.

Good luck. I hope you find a good option. It sounds like your best bet might be to combine it with a trip. At least you'd get a visit out of some of your money that way.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by SkydivinGirl View Post
    International shipping costs have gone up dramatically over the past 5 years. I got lucky having bout a PET 8096D and having it shipped from Germany to the USA three or four years ago for around $125.

Good luck. I hope you find a good option. It sounds like your best bet might be to combine it with a trip. At least you'd get a visit out of some of your money that way.

Heather
    Thanks Heather, initially I've got the seller sending the main unit to a friend in Wisconsin ($90) and he's put me onto a PS/2 NG member who may be able to meet the seller when he visits his daughter in London, Ontario and then transport the 70lb beast to aforesaid friend. After that I'll look into either a consolidator, or taking a "Grand Tour" of the North American continent to visit long-term but unknown in physical presence friends after decades on the NG together. I have old friends in Louisville KY too, from when I worked there for a couple of years.

Cheers,
    Tim

Blog Entries

My Israeli friend just found a service specifically for our use case: https://www.ushops.co.il/
    Costs seem reasonable, and they specifically mention they don't repack without authorization. We'll likely try it for this shipment and see what happens.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Nice find! I hope you it works out.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    My Israeli friend just found a service specifically for our use case: https://www.ushops.co.il/
    Costs seem reasonable, and they specifically mention they don't repack without authorization. We'll likely try it for this shipment and see what happens.
    That sounds promising. It's a good thing I have the Google Translate add-on to Firefox, otherwise I'd have been stumped by the "Chicken Scratches" of Hebrew(?). I did feel there would have to be something like that.

Cheers,
    Tim