Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Pci/pci-e IDE card that works with Windows 10 and beige front panel i/o

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,184

    Default Pci/pci-e IDE card that works with Windows 10 and beige front panel i/o

    I'm in the process of building a new computer for myself, I have an NOS Inwin A500 case with a modern motherboard, 6 core i5, and GTX 970 inside (not that I need that much power), but my goal is to make it look like it just came out of the mid 90's. Overall I really like how it turned out so far but it needs a period cd drive and I'd like usb up front too. I'm looking for 2 things- an ide card I can plug into either pci or pci-e and be able to use a period drive and maybe an ide hard drive so it sounds like an old computer, and something I can put in the front of the case in one of the drive bays and have some i/o, maybe usb, cf card reader, or ausio jacks. The trouble I'm having is it's just hard to sort through all the garbage and find a nice card, and it's REALLY tough to find anything beige nowadays, everything is all black with rgb LED's and stuff

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,490
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I'm in the process of building a new computer for myself, I have an NOS Inwin A500 case with a modern motherboard, 6 core i5, and GTX 970 inside (not that I need that much power), but my goal is to make it look like it just came out of the mid 90's. Overall I really like how it turned out so far but it needs a period cd drive and I'd like usb up front too. I'm looking for 2 things- an ide card I can plug into either pci or pci-e and be able to use a period drive and maybe an ide hard drive so it sounds like an old computer, and something I can put in the front of the case in one of the drive bays and have some i/o, maybe usb, cf card reader, or ausio jacks. The trouble I'm having is it's just hard to sort through all the garbage and find a nice card, and it's REALLY tough to find anything beige nowadays, everything is all black with rgb LED's and stuff
    Promise Technologies makes such a card and I've had one since the 2k's. There are different version such as ATA-66 & ATA-133, etc. Be aware that the 970 is from about 5 years ago and I think the I5 was released around the late 2k's.

    https://www.amazon.com/Promise-Techn.../dp/B000051460
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Promise Technologies makes such a card and I've had one since the 2k's. There are different version such as ATA-66 & ATA-133, etc. Be aware that the 970 is from about 5 years ago and I think the I5 was released around the late 2k's.

    https://www.amazon.com/Promise-Techn.../dp/B000051460
    Huh, I might actually have one of those. I had no idea it was still compatible with modern versions of Windows. I know about the i5 and 970, I bought the 970 used off my friend because it was cheap and I didn't need anything spectacular. The i5 I got a year or two ago in an OEM machine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I've got a Promise Ultra33, Promise Ultra66, and a Promise FastTrak66 if you need one of them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    I'd recommend a PCIe card with a JMicron IDE controller. They're like Realtek and have drivers for literally everything, and their controllers are very good.

    I had a similar issue several years back where I needed a floppy drive on my Windows 7 machine, so I decided to use an LS-120. I had a Promise Fasttrak and a few other PCI IDE cards, but only the Fasttrak worked, and it had problems. It wouldn't detect the LS-120 all the time, and Windows had problems with the drive. I had thought it was a problem with the drive being flaky, but when I upgraded to a new motherboard later with PCIe slots, I had to get a new IDE controller. The issues I had with the LS-120 at the time were it took up to a minute to access any data on the drive, it couldn't do any format operations and the eject button didn't work.

    The later PCIe IDE controller showed me that the fault was actually with the previous IDE controller. The LS-120 behaved perfectly on the new IDE controller and all functions worked, except being able to format LS-120 disks, but that's a driver issue.

    Here's a Startech PCIe IDE controller:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YAX13Y

    I've had good luck with Startech products and this card uses a JMicron IDE controller.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,796

    Default

    You can also use a SATA to IDE bridge. Startech makes a good one, they work with both hard disks and optical drives, even burners.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    I'd only recommend a SATA to IDE adapter as a last resort, they can be a mixed bag. I've had varying rates of success with them, ranging from working to not working to massive disk corruption. They're better not being used on a storage drive.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Looks like my motherboard really doesn't like my Promise card (Ultra 100). I might try one of the sata adapters just to see what happens. I only need it for a cd drive, all the rest of my drives are sata.

    I found a beige usb hub for the front panel so I think I'll use that. Would be nice to find something with a cf card slot or a headphone jack but this'll do

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I'd only recommend a SATA to IDE adapter as a last resort, they can be a mixed bag. I've had varying rates of success with them, ranging from working to not working to massive disk corruption. They're better not being used on a storage drive.
    Brain fart, I use the ones that go the other way -- IDE cable to SATA drives.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,490
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Looks like my motherboard really doesn't like my Promise card (Ultra 100). I might try one of the sata adapters just to see what happens. I only need it for a cd drive, all the rest of my drives are sata.

    I found a beige usb hub for the front panel so I think I'll use that. Would be nice to find something with a cf card slot or a headphone jack but this'll do
    Did you remember to turn off the on-board HDD controller in the BIOS?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •