Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underrated CPUs over the years

Default Underrated CPUs over the years

Let me kick this off with the AMD K6 series of processors. I think most people looked at this CPU as just another Pentium compatible CPU that fit into a Socket 7 motherboard that made up a low cost system. The K6 had features that put in on par with the PII. It had Out Of Order Execution, Speculative Execution, Branch Prediction and MMX. It also translated CISC instructions into internal RISC ops, just like the PII. When the Super 7 platform from AMD was launched there were upgrades for a 100Mhz FSB and AGP. It did not have a pipelined FPU, but could complete many FPU instructions in just 2 clock cycles. With the K6-2 it gained 3DNow SIMD floating point instructions. The K6-3 included a full speed 256K L2 cache which made it just as fast as a comparable PII (subject to instruction mix). It did all this while having just a six stage pipeline (although this was a handicap when trying to scale to higher clock speeds). I owned a number of these systems in the day and it was a cost effective alternative to the more expensive Slot 1 platform from Intel. Just my 2 cents on a system I fondly remember.
    Last edited by jasa1063; January 24th, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

This is one of my favorite boards...

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-gaming-boards

I've had several of them and they really run great with an AMD-K6-2+/500 of which I still have several.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

80286-16. $80 versus $200 for the 80386SX-16. Best performance on a budget in the early 90s.

Blog Entries

Of course, you mean x86 processors, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Of course, you mean x86 processors, right?
    Yes, x86 is what I meant

I'm a fan of the lowly AMD k5. Not sure why but I've got a soft spot for those.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I'm a fan of the lowly AMD k5. Not sure why but I've got a soft spot for those.
    The K5 was a great performing chip, but with limits on it's frequency scaling and the Intel Pentium MMX forced AMD to rethink their strategy. They bought NexGen and came out with the K6 as a result. Here is a good article that covers this.

http://www.amd-k6.com/history/

Blog Entries

I would have posted a non-X86 CPU except most are overhyped instead of underrated.

I will post a non x86 CPU. The Zilog eZ80. Way faster than a Z80 has any right to be, and used in lots of places. There is a good chance your DVD burner, if you have one, has a Z80 or eZ80 running the show.

A 50MHz eZ80, if using a system like AMD's PR ratings (call it a ZR rating, perhaps), might easily get a ZR200.

But if I must stick to boring old x86, I would have to say the Geode NX.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

How about the Radio Shack PC1/Sharp 1210 with its twin 4-bit processors; i.e. the SC43177 & SC 43178.
    Mine is almost 40 years old and still works.

PC1.JPG
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting